News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

LOL...why do I have this horible feeling I'm gonna find out firsthand before too long why you have to keep taking your motor in and out?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

back to the top

RICH MUISE

hotwheels

ron francis wireing offers wiring harness for 4.6 now.

pepfalcon

rich, ive had my engine in and out three or four times. getting ready to pull it out again for transmission installation. had a dummy a.t in for fitup. i hope this is the last time for me, too. lol

RICH MUISE

Hotwheels...welcome to the forum. Yes they do and I can tell you first hand it's a great kit. Check the last few pages of the "4.6 dohc being installed now" thread I've been running. This is an old thread with several newer ones running.
Phillip....I've been wondering how yours was coming along. I am so happy I sprang for a plastic mock up block when I started my fitment. Total weight was about 60-65 lbs with the motor mounts and gutted 4r70w tranny. My dirt floor work area with a low ceiling meant no engine hoist inside. I had to do my install outside. I needed to get it prepped so when the time came it was in once and done. Best money I ever spent. A local friend here has used it twice since.

pepfalcon

rich, i don't work in my garage very much when it is cold, and this winter has been extra cold. been finishing up on some wiring details under the dash. i'm using the stock mark viii harness, and it is a long process, wiring each system in. i spent two days on the COP conversion alone. got the most of it completed now. may be ready to start up in a few weeks. congratulations on your successful startup.

RICH MUISE

Sounds like your moving along on it. You guys that can make it all work by modifying the oem harnesses just amaze the heck out of me.
Now that I've got mine running I can change mine over to the cop's also. I've already got the cop valve covers on the engine. I just need to wait until I've got some cash for a set of coils. What are you using for the coils, btw? I'm guessing the cheap sets that can be found on EBAY are a waste of money? I've read that the best ones are just the OEM Ford Motorcraft.

canadian_ranchero

i have been told that also,tha oem coils being the best ones

hiball3985

I've followed quite a few posts with guys putting the 4.6 into early Ford trucks and they all say the same thing, the aftermarket ones are junk, even major brands sold through the speed shops last no time and to stay with the OEM..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

pepfalcon

i'm using ford coils. my engine is a 98, but i am using a 96 computer for PATS reasons, and it has to be rewired for cop. i mentioned before that i am super low buck, so no money wasted on pats deletes. lol