News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

some more mount pictures.left one fits good,right one good after you tighten the mount to frame bolt

RICH MUISE

Great pics thanks... Another question...Is the stock lincoln 4R70W floor shifter a tranny mount or a floor mount. When I designed that console for my car I had pretty much thought I was going to install an aod with the 4.6 to make the electronics simpler. I purchased a floor mount b&m for aod/c-4/c-6 cable shifter that could be floor mounted anywhere.  I have since decided that better is better, so I'm going to go with the 4R70W. My delema now is trying to figure out how to make my console work without a major remake since I've got a lot of work into it, so I'm hoping the stock Lincoln is cable floor mounted so I can just use that if I have to, with mods to the cable lengths. But I'll guess my life won't be that simple.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

yes the 93 markviii shifter is floor mount with a cable.here is a picture from a 93 shop manual.the other reason to use the stock shifter is you get the overdrive cancel switch

RICH MUISE

Man, I have a question before I go to bed at night and an answer when I wake up in the morning...doesn't get any better than that. Looks like an easy adapt to my usage. Was that page out of the 93 lincoln shop manual? I couldn't read it, but looks like it had adjustment info on it. Thanks again...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

yes out of the 93 mark viii shop manual

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-29 00:38
yes the 93 markviii shifter is floor mount with a cable.here is a picture from a 93 shop manual.the other reason to use the stock shifter is you get the overdrive cancel switch

Lokar has a shifter conversion unit that allows for the use of the column shifter which is what I'll be using. I have the OEM shifter but don't want it in the way.I'll just stick a button somewhere for the OD. As I understand it the OD is automatic and the button simply turns it off and alternately, back on.

canadian_ranchero

like i said i found a 97 f150 cable.i just need to modify the brackets and will have less than $15 in it.will work with a column shift

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-29 13:59
like i said i found a 97 f150 cable.i just need to modify the brackets and will have less than $15 in it.will work with a column shift

Oh yeah, that's right. I did see that in some of your pictures. I saw the bracket c-clamped to the frame. Did that come out of the f150 as well?
What did you decide to do with the OD switch?

Thor

I don't know about anyone else, but this thread has been the most informative thread I have read in years! Thanks to everyone for contributing!

canadian_ranchero

the shift cable brackets are off the same truck.you need to remember that this is my test fit chassis so some items are not fully installed. as for the OD switch, i found a dash mounted one in a late 80's ford truck with the e4od trans that i think i can modify to work 

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-25 13:45
i am in the process of dealing with the dipstick issue.will post what i find out

Over the past weekend We got the 4.6 on the stand and started to work. We may have solved the dipstick issue in the process...

With the pan off we observed that the stock dipstick only hangs down about 1.5 inches from the pan surface. We discovered that grinding the tip down so that the bullet point begins at the "Fill" line it just clears hitting the bottom of the shallow end of the front sump pan. So, problem solved. SHave the end of the dipstick about 1/4 inch and you're good to go (at least with the '96 setup).

rclaborne

New question...

The 96 4R70W uses a digital speed sensor for the Lincoln speedometer. In our 57's it's a different story of course. Has anyone done/know of an adapter for this trans to drive a mechanical speedo?

canadian_ranchero

i am looking into this problem all so.found a 85 lincoln AOD one that maybe will work.will keep you posted

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-05-03 18:26
i am looking into this problem all so.found a 85 lincoln AOD one that maybe will work.will keep you posted

We'll be digging into the 4R70 this weekend so maybe I'll discover something as well.

I ordered one of these babies so we can get the shifter going http://foxyurl.com/SwV

cruzin71

Hi,
The speedometer problem is easily taken care with an a older style bullet that runs the speed pickup as well as a cable. the bullet has a gear that runs on the output shaft of the transmission.