News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhaust

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2014-08-11 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

I need to get the full exhaust replaced on my Ranchero, right now it has been cut off right at the floorboards and won't pass Texas inspection with out at least some kind of muffler. I need this to finalize getting a Texas title for it.
I was wondering if anyone has ever used the exhaust kits/pieces from the aftermarket parts suppliers, like Concours parts or Waldron's? How is the stuff?

What diameter tubing was the stock exhaust on these car? I can't seem to find the spec anywhere.

My plan is to pull the manifolds, clean them up and send them to JETHOT. From there replace the whole system back with hew hangers and brackets. I am sure its going to be a task to not snap any of the exhaust manifold bolts off in the heads.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

John Palmer

Sorry, I have no experience with any of the kits.

But as far a coatings go, I would find a local coating source, so you can save the two way freight, and possible damage during shipping.  Many of the larger powder coaters in my area have added equipment to do ceramic exhaust coatings and also internal engine (piston heat) coatings.  I did the entire exhaust system on my '32 roadster, headers to tail pipes six years ago in satin black and they still "look like new".

I would also recommend that you run the system all the way to the rear bumper to avoid the under car "drone".

ragtop

only did one from a kit and did not fit with out going to a shop with a bender was off just enough to not fit will never do a kit again the shop I go to is around 400.00 from manifolds to bumper custom bent and all welded hung in around 3hr. just did my courier 3 weeks ago 

RICH MUISE

Ragtop....That is a gorgeous Courier. I'm sure I'm like everybody else...more pics and info please!!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ragtop

more pic. in galleries under construction its in for interior now just starting my next car its not a 57 but is ford 64 fairlane

Hoosier Hurricane

In answer to your question about pipe sizes, they were 2 inch from the manifolds to the mufflers, 1 3/4 from the mufflers back.  Personally, I would have a muffler shop make 2 inch pipes all the way.   John

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2014-08-13 05:34
In answer to your question about pipe sizes, they were 2 inch from the manifolds to the mufflers, 1 3/4 from the mufflers back.  Personally, I would have a muffler shop make 2 inch pipes all the way.   John

That's what I should have done.  I bought mine from a company about 10 years ago and put the pipes away until I actually needed them.  When I finally did get around do installing them, everything  looked good, but nothing fit.   After cutting, welding, twisting and bending every single piece, it took me two days to get everything on the car.
     Having a muffler shop do everything and stepping up to 2"  like John said is a good idea.     

petew

Just put a Waldrons exhaust in my Country Sedan Wagon. Expensive as hell but it fit perfectly and sounds great. I got the "imposter" mufflers. They look like stock but have a nice husky sound.

Pete

RICH MUISE

Pete...some more info, please. Special order? website link? how expensive is "expensive as hell". What's the pipe diameter?

Zapato

Rich, it must be    www.waldronexhaust.com   

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

petew

Guess I'm cheap but expensive as hell is about $480.00 plus shipping if memory serves me correctly. Then you need to add the clamp and hanger kit from Concours which was over $100.00.

The pipe diameter is 2" from front to back and the fit was excellent. The website that Zap gave you is correct and you can search them on you tube and hear some of their systems.

Probably would have cost more to have a custom system bent and in my case would have required a wrecker ride to the muffler shop . Great product , quality pipe (aluminized) and it fit. You can also get it in stainless but that would really hurt your feelings price wise !

Pete

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info, Zap, Pete. I'll give them a call when I get to that point on my priority list. I'll need some custom work/sizing, but may be able to get them to do oem bends on larger pipes.
Pete, I'll be anxious to find out if those imposter mufflers have a "drone" to them at highway speeds. I'm looking at some mufflers at summit(?) that are 370 each for the mufflers alone...the difference being they have an electric internal valve that controls the sound output. Expensive, but I sure like the idea of being able to quiet the sound if on a long trip.

petew

Rich,
Waldrons also offers a "cut out" style muffler that is vacuum operated. You can check them out on YouTube and watch/ listen to them open and closed at idle and under load .

Pete

Zapato

you can see that variable sound muffler video (Pontiac) on their site.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've tried to listen to different muffler systems over the internet in the past..places like dynaflow. You can pick a car/engine close to what you have, then listen to all their different systems on it. Problem I had was they all sounded the same...probably 'cause I don't have a good sound system on my computer.