News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front side glass installation

Started by Wirenut, 2014-08-13 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Can anyone share some info. on the installation of the side windows in a 57 hardtop. I attempted to install and decided to research a bit before attempting again. I have already installed the side vent frames and the felt side trim. I was able to set in by sliding from the jamb side but when I got to the long stainless trim that rides in the guide track I could not angle the glass enough to clear. I will attempt again tomorrow but I would appreciate any tricks of the trade suggestions if anyone can share that has done the installs before. Do I have to take out the vent frames and install the window and then reinstall the vent window frame? (These are the front door windows on a 2 door 57 hardtop). Thanks

JimNolan

I think I know what you're talking about. Take out the rear window guide and reinstall it after you get the window in. When you reinstall the guide you have to "slip" it over the window sideways. There's not much room. Hope this helps, It's been a while but I know the front guide at the top extends out enough to make putting it in without the rear guide removed is impossible. Rolling the window up after you install it and before you put the rear guide channel in also will help.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

jumping jack flash

Wish I could help you out , but I have a ball and chain on. Anyway it's been 40 + years since I did a side glass, and it wasn't a hardtop. I kept breaking them out when I would leave the drive-in, with the speaker still hanging on the window. Broke one out the same night I put it in. Attention distracted? You can bet your life I was.

RICH MUISE

been there, didn't do that though! funny.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

Wirenut, when I installed my glass, the vents were in and everything was loose. All the bolts and screws I tightened after. I had the window track rolled down and put the glass in on an angle and lowered it down by hand till it sat in the track, then you need to mess around to get it lined up, it takes time and you need a light laying in on the bottom of the door. The Chrome track (RUNNER) needs the be un bolted at the bottom from the door so you can move it where you need. Take time to look at every nut and bolt with lots of light, you will see what needs to be worked.   HRD

RICH MUISE

HRD...Kerby is working on a hardtop. Yours, like mine, are sedans and I would imagine, different. That being said, I would think maybe the rearward track mounting is of a similar design, and would be unbolted and out of the way at the bottom, so the glass could be inserted vertically, then rotated 90* once it's inside and that channel is out of the way. If the hardtops are similar, Kerby, there will be a flathead screw in the doorjamb holding the bottom of that track.. Don't lose any of those screws, btw, they are 12-28...not easy to find.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

akronterr

Hi Guys, I have a 57 2 door hardtop model 64B. On mine the window goes in the frame work then that drops in as a assembly vent window and all.

akronterr

I'm sorry Guys mine is a 2 door Club Sedan, Too many darn models

Wirenut

Thanks for all of the input, I haven't been back out to the shop to attempt again. I will loosen all of the bolts, especially the front vent frame that might allow enough angle to get past the extended chrome trim. I had so much trouble with the darn thing I was afraid of breaking the glass and thinking there has to be a trick to this I am missing.
And Jack Flash it sounds as though you had other things on your mind at the drive in than speaker removal. Maybe " oh crap got to get her home before her dad kills" me since we lost track of time (not watching movie).
Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate the feed back..

jumping jack flash

Yes Wirenut, you have me nailed this time.

Wirenut

Well, I finally got back on the window install and I found that the vent window frames I had installed needed to be removed in order to angle the glass and frame from the front of the door and slide to the rear as it is lowered into the door. Seems like I have to do everything on the car  two or three times. I am sure most of you can relate. The widow rolls up and down and that is a good feeling, being I have had the car for almost 6 years and have never rolled the windows up or down since they were not in the car when I bought it.  One step closer to getting on the road. Thanks for the input and suggestions from each that contributed..

Ford Blue blood

I have spent a couple of afternoons trying to remove the glass like the manual says....don't believe it can be done as the book says.  The rear channel will not come out, the bottom of the door is too short to give "wiggle" room and the front track will not move out of the way far enough to get the glass out of the tracks.  Finally gave up and took out the vent window and now all is good.

Not sure who wrote the books for Ford but they have never worked on the cars.  The door glass on the HT is a good example.  The speedometer on the Edsel can not be removed per the manual, just not possible with the location of screws holding it in the cluster.  Same for the instrument cluster voltage regulator on a 65 Bird.

Now having said that, I still purchase every manual out there for the car I am working.  Even with the errors and miss direction they are still a wealth of information and go miles to help figure out the "what the hey" and "what is that for" things that will come up!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-09-01 07:59

Now having said that, I still purchase every manual out there for the car I am working.  Even with the errors and miss direction they are still a wealth of information and go miles to help figure out the "what the hey" and "what is that for" things that will come up!

I do the same, for just those reasons, and find some of the aftermarket manuals have better answers to the problems. And the parts manuals can't be beat if for no other reason than to reassemble things in the right order.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72