News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Kick Panels

Started by whisper38, 2013-07-21 13:28

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

After seeing what was out there for different kick trim panels,I decided to start making my own.Here some pictures of kick panels.they are in a set.Left and Rght side ,available in white and black vinyl,with a panelboard for the base.They are $25.00 for the pair plus shipping.Most of what I've seen in the market are just for a painted board,mine are covered in heavy vinyl.These fit 1957 ranchero,and some fords.Please note on Ranchero you need to remove the bracket,there are three big bolts and several small sheetmetal screws holding it in place,the reason is,you may need to spread the lip of the bracket apart,to help slip the new one into place.If you are in need of a kick panel of a different year,and have a poster board copy of it,I will be happy to quote you a price for it.

rmk57

Nice job. Now if somebody would only repro the kick panel retainers!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

whisper38

Yeah the one on my driver side is in bad shape,once I take mine off I'll see how hard it is for me to duilcate them,i might be able to do that,I'll keep you posted.

CableguyJJS3

I know this may be a stretch and asking to much, but how about some kick panels with built in speaker pods?? I've searched high and low and seen nothing close. I think that would be a hot seller, but it could just be me that wants some. Just a thought, either way I may very well be in touch with you for some of these, all I have in my Ranchero is some goofy plastic things that the previous owner made up, not very good at all.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

One of the things that would lower demand for kick panel speakers is the fact that many of the builders use those areas for new electrics. In my case, the drivers kick panel is where my main electric fuse panel is located, and the passenger side kick panel will be where my engine management system/computer will be located.
I would think building a speaker kick panel cover would take a little planning because of the weight of the speakers. I would think you would have to mount the speaker to the kick panel, not attached to the cover. Otherwise you would need to build a cover with a really strong substructure....which is why most pods you see being built on the tv shows use plywood as a base. If your attaching the speaker to the kickpanel, you could just make a cover staring with chickenwire as a base to get the shape.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CableguyJJS3

No disagreement fom me with anything you said Rich, all valid points. I only ask for me and possibly some others as speakers arent that much weight really and once the panel is mounted in the car car the sub structure would take most of the weight anyways. I have some for my Mustang that are pretty close I was just going to carve them up to fit and use some heavy duty velcro to mount them and I don't imagine there would be any issues at all. They just look cheap and cheesy and these look very nice in comparison.

As for the issues with the electrics, yeah there really isnt any easier option than kick panel area, only thing else you could do would be up under the dash and fuse access would be a pain I'm sure. I just haven't been able to figure anything else out for speaker placement other than the kick panel or possibly the door. Then you get into door panel issues, which no one even makes those, or not at least that I have found, plus cutting up the door structure which I have zero intentions of doing. Either way was just a thought, I'm sure something could be made up, just a matter of someone with the time and the desire, plus a demand of some sort to make it worthwhile. Thanks.  Jim
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

whisper38

Small Hamburger speakers will work fine,you would just have to run your wires to a Ipod.I will be working on one maybe this weekend.So I will take pictures of it.Back to kick panel retainers,took mine off today tp spread the lip wider,needless to say botn sides are pretty rank.I'll repair what I can.if it weren't for the curve part of them,it would be easy for me to make.But I'm going to try anyway.

Frankenstein57

Having front mounted speakers would be a welcome edition to my ranchero,I have a pair mounted in the bulkhead behind the seat, sound kind of bounces around back there.

whisper38

A little update started a little project on the kick panel retainers.made a template,tried some thin flashing,see picture,didn't work out that great,need to find some sheetmetal to make a good one.Speakers,attached is two types of small speakers,that can be used with IPADS,Tablets,etc.A wedge speaker,and a hamburg speaker.See pictures.

RICH MUISE

JMHO, It looks like a relatively simple part, but one of the reasons the retainer hasn't been reproduced is it will take either a hard forming die and a 100 ton press(reserved for high production runs(1,000's)).... or ....a lot of work with shears, nibblers,and shrinking and stretching equiptment....or..... a lot of cutting, forming, welding.... any way it's makes for a high dollar part if your idea is to sell them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

The kick panel retainers on my 57 Ranchero are from a 59 Ford.  I cut them down by about 1 inch and they are a perfect fit with re-drilled mounting holes. 

whisper38

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-07-24 16:15
JMHO, It looks like a relatively simple part, but one of the reasons the retainer hasn't been reproduced is it will take either a hard forming die and a 100 ton press(reserved for high production runs(1,000's)).... or ....a lot of work with shears, nibblers,and shrinking and stretching equiptment....or..... a lot of cutting, forming, welding.... any way it's makes for a high dollar part if your idea is to sell them.
coming from auto factory back ground,I worked with presses,etc.use to be a robotic programer/IE,,my simple little bead roller will make them fine.Example enclosed of what a person can do with just a bead roller.The driver side behind the seat pillar molding. 18 guage steel.Yeah I know its not perfect,but its a start.