News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

original primer colours

Started by meteor, 2007-03-19 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

Can someone tell me what the original 57 primer colour(s) are? was there black primer? thanks
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

shopratwoody

My Ranchero was Red & White originally, it was completely primed in a Red Oxide color before I took it all off.
later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Hoosier Hurricane

I seem to remember that new sheet metal parts had a black finish, not exactly primer, as it had a semi-gloss look.  I worked in a non'Ford dealership some 20 years ago and new body parts there had that black finish.

John

meteor

thanks guys. John, I worked in a Chrysler parts depot while in school and you're right, I remember all the sheet metal having that black finish.

The reason I ask about original 57 primer colour is because I'm looking at a 57 ranch wagon that I'm told is original paint and patina. All the spots where the paint has been burned through, it shows very dark underneath and the guy said it is the original black primer. I don't want to buy a car that has had a paint job - too much of a risk for me after the Ranchero ordeal.

thanks, here's a pic of what I'm looking at...

Glen Henderson

I just walked out back with a piece of sand paper and it appears that it could have been red or black. I sanded down a few spots on the parts cars that I have [in the door jambs) 3 appear to have black and 1 had red primer. I remember replacement sheet that we received in the 60's at the Ford dealership that I worked at was black. The one with red primer has been repainted, but I doubt that they would have reprimed the jambs for a repaint.

meteor

Thanks Glen for doing the sandpaper tests, much appreciated. I have seen some pics of other cars that appear to be original and they also have the dark (black) showing through the paint.

cool57

Everything I've seen indicates red oxide.