News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fordomatic Trans & Y-Block

Started by 57AGIN, 2007-04-25 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Do any of the 57 gurus know whether there is a flex plate required on the Y-block to Fordomatic Transmission?  A friend is helping with the restoration of a 55 T-Bird which was in many pieces.  The kid the car belongs to swears there was no flex plate with the pieces, but my firend would like to know for sure.  Please advise...

Bob
57AGIN

Ford Blue blood

I do know the FE series had none up through 62, my 62 Bird had none, the wifes 65 Bird does.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Actually, I mistakenly called the plate a flex plate.  According to my friend, the correct term is the "block plate."  We've also looked at the 49-59 Ford Car Parts and Accessories
Illustrations Catalog, which didn't show anything for the 54 on automatic transmissions.  There was an upper and lower plate used on the 49-53 flat heads.

However, just to make sure, I thought I'd still check with the gurus who have actual experience.

Bob
57AGIN

Glen Henderson

The Y block didn't use a block plate between the engine and trans as used on later Ford engines. Bell housing bolts  direct to block.

57AGIN

Glen:

Thank you.  I knew there would be someone who knew this on our web site.

Bob
57AGIN