News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Best options for 57 steering box swap?

Started by pstadnyk, 2015-11-15 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

pstadnyk

I have read that 58-59 steering boxes are a nice upgrade from the 57 boxes and only require a bit of modification. Unfortunately they seem a bit hard to find.

What other steering boxes are compatible? Please specify year make and model. If they require some modification, that's ok too.

lowrider

I put a 59 steering box in my 57. Great improvement & only a few modifications. You might try Win-try motors. 620-680-0449 Also has a web site win-try motors.com. I picked up mine from him when he listed one on eBay. If he has one he'll sell it to you. Good guy to deal with.

lalessi1

I put a 58 box in mine. it is an improvement. The big issue is the horn, the '57 wire runs through the shaft. The '58 shaft is solid. Get the whole column if you can. Have you consider a Borgeson?
Lynn

hiball3985

I use a 58 in mine. If you go that way be sure it includes the pitman arm, the 57 won't fit on the 58, different splines..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Boxes from 57 - 64 will bolt up.  The 63 - 64 box will require the steering column be cut as they had a rag joint from the factory.  Be sure to get the pitman arm with any box you get as there are spline differences from year to year.

58 and up are reciprocating ball while the 57 and earlier are worm and sector.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

brushwolf

I have installed a 58 manual steering complete stick column and gear from a Yblock powered 58 Custom in my 57 Fairlane along with adding the rebuilt PS components (ram, tie rods, etc..) from a 58 Fairlane that had an FE and automatic.

Disk brake spindles from a 1971 Mark III Lincoln bolted right on, even the tie rod ends had the same taper as the 58 ends, unlike Granada. Using aftermarket 15" wheels so the stock wheels not fitting is fine by me.

Will the 58 non-PS sector work ok with PS remainder of steering linkage or are there ratio differences between the 58 non-PS box and the 58 PS box that will be an issue?

Also, will I have issues like others apparently have with getting the 58 turn signals and horn to work, since aside from the steering column the rest of the wiring is stock 57?

Motor rebuild is complete (1970 351C) and have several T85 OD trannies which is why I decided to keep column shift. Have several T10 and Toploader 4 speeds also, but then I would lose the OD and I go back and forth on that. Too many options at hand...

Decided I should check my previous work on steering and front suspension before installing the motor as I still have numerous 57 and 58 columns as well as a complete rebuilt 63 Galaxie PS setup (column thru tie rods) in case previous work done years ago isn't going to work that well.

Also wondering if my 400M exhaust manifolds on the 351C will even clear the steering box and shift linkage, but maybe just have to do a test fit before that can be known.. Worst case basis on that I also have a rebuilt 312 I could put in it. Don't care to go with headers this time..

Thanks, Mike
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ford Blue blood

Mike I have a 64 Galaxie box with 351C exhaust manifolds, no clearance issues.  Pics in my Ranchero build thread.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

brushwolf

Thanks Bill,  Interesting build thread with a whole lot of usable info. Saved a bunch of your pics for reference in my 57 photo folder. My car is a Sunliner, but front ends are pretty much all the same.

Helpful to read your delays encountered for health issue too since I just had shoulder surgery and having one arm out of commission is real frustrating. Trying not to waste all the downtime by putting together plans for what to when shoulder is healed. Even typing is a one hand process right now.  Neat idea on TBird hood and if I didn't have a real nice 58 hood I would surely copy that.

Looks like you have a lot of manifold clearance on any steering gear chosen.  I have a set of the 64 engine mounts plus an aftermarket 54-58 (Butch's Rod Shop?) mount kit for later Ford motors in this chassis, so I should be able to get the engine in the same place if required.

I only have a left side 351c 2v manifold and had a good pair of 400M manifolds (probably from a pickup) which have slightly larger exhaust outlets, but a similar profile, so that's why I am trying to use those. Left side 400 manifold looks like it exits just a tad further back than 351c manifold, but from your pics it looks like there is a good chance it will work with either 58 or 63 gear.

Thanks, Mike

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Better pic of 400M driver side manifold on 351C and the 58 steering sector currently on car... And 351C manifolds off Bill's build thread...
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Wouldn't load both pics in one post...
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ford Blue blood

Mike I see no reason why the 400M manifolds won't work.  Mine are 351C 2V manifolds.  Finding a right side that is not cracked is near impossible and when you do it will cost as much as a set of headers.  I spent a bunch of time grinding off the "BUTT UGLY" tabs on the top of each port.  Improve the looks a bunch IMHO.  The "air cured" ceramic coating has not changed in appearance with break-in run time and extended idle time to ensure adequate cooling (95 degrees in the shop with no fans in front of the car) during summer here in the south.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

chapingo17

Would anyone have a steering box, column and pitman arm from a 58 Ford? I'm looking into upgrading. I rebuilt the original steering box but i still have some slack.I live in the state of New Mexico.