News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

P/S rack conversion - identifying high pressure outlet?

Started by Limey57, 2018-04-10 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Hi folks, I've been away for a long time with work and 101 other "life things" but now trying to finish of the few last bits on the Ranchero.  Mine is fitted with a Wurth rack & pinion conversion which uses (I think) a GM rack.  I need to get some hoses made but which one of the outlets is the high pressure side & which is the return?  I'm guessing the smaller outlet is the high pressure and the larger the return (low pressure) but I'm not 100% and don't want to get it wrong and end up mopping up P/S fluid!

Thanks

Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

bassackwards

The large port is the high side leaving the small as the low pressure.  Goes against all common standards but that's GM.

Limey57

Thanks Gary, also goes against what a couple of local "experts" told me, but their words of wisdom were followed by the line "at least I think that's the way it is"!!!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Pipes made up and installed as suggested - I can now turn corners without risking pulling a muscle!  Thanks!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

one major drawn back to power R&P...really, really hard to steer if not working.  Throw a belt or stall the engine while turning a corner...