HELP! Borgeson Swap details? Which Aftermarket Steering Column?

Started by wilnutt, 2018-06-25 11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

I'm starting to plan out doing the Borgeson swap. If you've done it, are you satisfied with it? Which box ratio did you go with? I feel confident in everything thus far, outside of the steering column modifications. I'm curious which steering column (Brand, style, size) you're using. Were you able to retain the automatic column shifter with your aftermarket column?

All help is greatly appreciated.

lalessi1

I am in the middle of mine. I decided to use the rag joint with mine since I have a floor shifter. My box is the newer 2.9 turns lock to lock.
In order to retain the automatic shifter on the column you must use the coupler that will need to be welded to the stock shaft. The coupler makes the job a little simpler because the rag joint winds up being partly inside the car and it requires a solid shaft. I am using the stock column and steering wheel but I moved it closer to the dash. I am making a new floor plate that will fit over the rag joint and a collapsible floor mount flange from Ididit that will bolt to the new plate. I have heard the coupler will transmit some noise to the interior of the car. PM me if you'd like and I will send you my phone number if you would like to talk. Here are a couple of pics, the floor plate has a cardboard pattern on the steel plate so far...
Lynn

suede57ford

I used a '57 Column modified at the top to use a '58 style horn plate.  The piece cut of the bottom when you shorten it get tack welded to the top exactly like a '58 to mount the '58 horn plate on.  I had an extra '58 column handy to compare to so it was pretty easy.   A complete '58 or '59 column in the best way to go an look stock or have access to one to see what is different than '57.  You can use a '57 wheel by drilling a hole for the horn button sleeve and spring contact(both available from aftermarket).   I also change the plate on the horn ring to a plastic '59 one as well even though the '57 will work. 

I also have used a smaller diameter steering wheel hoop off a mid sixties car and then welded the spokes of a '59 steering wheel center and reconstructed the spoke plastic areas of the wheel using panel bond epoxy with chopped fibers added to the adhesive to create a factory looking wheel with the stock horn ring yet with a slightly smaller diameter.

I used the solid coupler sleeve and I have no vibration issues at all.   The rag joint should be better, but not at all necessary.

I used the factory column shifter.  The tube mount on the end of the column needs removed and moved up the column inside above the floor plate(it originally was on in the engine compartment, now its in the passenger compartment).  The shift arm on the end of theshift tube get moved up a little and rewelded to that shaft.   Also, to use a more modern trans and have the shift pattern the right length redrill the hole the upper shifter rod goes into down the arm some closer to the tube.

Remember to have it aligned to modern specs with additional caster and it will drive like a modern car.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429