News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

sway bar

Started by alvin stadel, 2019-01-24 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I could use a little advise on this. I'm restoring a 57 retractable. In years past I'v changed or replaced sway bars with out much trouble. However this time I am really striking out. If I had the motor and trans in place would it help? I have hooked the frame to my lift and jacked both A arms up but still can't get the bar in place. I'v just kind of walked away from it for now, because when I get pissed things really go the wrong way. Thanks, Alvin

gasman826

I always install the sway bar with the car on a hoist.  I place a frame stand on each side about mid point between the two bushing...about the middle of the control arm.  If being really stubborn, I'll use a big C-clamp to pull bushing clamp into place.  This even works with the big one inch ADDCO sway bar.

thomasso

Hell they hard to get in even with car on ground.  When I put the springs and control arms on my bare frame had to actually put a jack and post to ceiling to compress springs.  Cant really remember the sway bar install.  last time I had the pan off couldn't even get it in place with suspension hanging.  Might be my lack of agility anymore.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.