News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Custom 300 Body Off

Started by fdlrc, 2019-01-21 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

suede57ford

Great job! Nice looking car with sensible parts and great planning.  I'm interested in how the rear suspension rides after it's finished.  Looks like you could have went with a bunch wider rear tire, which is what I'm interested in doing.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

fdlrc

Thanks, I'll post review of rear suspension after I get some miles on it. Those tires and wheels were what fit at the time with the leaf springs. I will fit wider rear tires once the car is assembled, it certainly has crossed my mind.

By the way, I have relatives in Lubbock and get down there fairly often. With the list of cars you have, I think I know where to head for shake-down cruise! Of course by the way of Amarillo, huh Rich.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

fdlrc

Good help is hard to find.

rmk57

I like the idea of the 4 link rear but I wonder if you would get any binding when turning, like backing out of steeper driveway on to a flat road. I guess you could use rod end joints
in the front to give a little more movement if you need it. Boy, that sure opens it up for a larger rear tire.... I like it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

fdlrc

Binding, are you referring to the ability of the axle to have free movement up and down with no restriction? I know with the frame on stands, and the coil-overs removed, the axle has more travel than one would ever need. Unless your building a Baja racer. I did opt for longer 4-bars vs. the shorter ones used for drag racing.

Tom S

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-01-25 23:11
Binding, are you referring to the ability of the axle to have free movement up and down with no restriction?
I may be wrong but I thought he was asking about binding when one side of the axle is quite a bit higher or lower than the other.
I'd say that there is enough flex in the, I assume, polyurethane bushings, in your rod ends that that's not a problem since they aren't gonna twist but a very few degrees anyway. It's been workin' fine on these 4 bar setups for years.

rmk57

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-01-26 01:24
I may be wrong but I thought he was asking about binding when one side of the axle is quite a bit higher or lower than the other.
I'd say that there is enough flex in the, I assume, polyurethane bushings, in your rod ends that that's not a problem since they aren't gonna twist but a very few degrees anyway. It's been workin' fine on these 4 bar setups for years.

Yes, that's what I meant.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

fdlrc

Yea, they do have the poly bushings. I know this system has been around for a long time, in many different configurations, but this will be a first for me.

fdlrc

Regarding rear quarter sheet metal panels: I had a miscommunication with guy that's helping me with metal work. I needed to replace rear quarters on both sides. We talked about me getting them through EMS. Well he ordered them through Mac's. They were so bad, I can't even explain. He told me he even called UPS because he thought they were damaged in shipping, but the packaging wasn't damaged. I bought the ones from EMS and what a night and day difference! I need to post this review in the parts section.

I should have taken pictures of the two but I didn't think about it.

fdlrc

Just got these back from Quality Plating, Yuma Colorado. They fixed two minor dents, four cracks, added one mounting tab that was missing then triple plate re-chrome. They are as good in-person as the pictures show.

Only plating shop in Colorado that I know of.

RICH MUISE

And what's a good grille plating nowadays running? Yuma? I'll have to google that one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fdlrc

Northeast Colorado on the plains. $530 for three grill pieces, $65-hood ornament base and $165 for the three dash pieces. I had quotes of up $2000. See post where I reviewed this shop.

RICH MUISE

reasonable prices, thanks for posting. I had never heard of them, so very good to have a plating source in this day and age. And, yes, I had googled Yuma. Not a place you're likely to find yourself passing thru unless you're headed for nowhere.

fdlrc

Lower dash extension. Gen IV hangs lower that old heater box so I figure I can add my vents and gauges plus it will help hide A/C box. It will be mounted slightly toward the firewall so attachment line won't be visible.

RICH MUISE

That's thinking outside the box! I'll be anxious to see how it looks all painted and assembled. You're kind of a tall dude, at least next to me, I assume you checked the drop to make sure you had room for a knee or two. I did a lower extension as well, but mine are more out than down.