News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 QUAD HEADLIGHT CONVERSION-REVERSED!

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-06-03 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

Bill, the second attempt by Carpenters was good, I made the UPS guy wait while I opened it, lol.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Lookin' oh so good! that white...is REALLY white!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Marc

Joe that's really looking good!
what size & brand are those tires? I'm about to pull the trigger on some WW bias plies.

CobraJoe

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Marc, they are BFG SilverTown 7.50 - 14 bias ply.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

Marc

Thanks Joe. That's the size I'm planning to run. Those have a nice look.

CobraJoe

Thanks, when I just bought the set for my '39, I called Coker directly; they were very helpful and shipped them out right away at a really good price too.

Ecode70D

Rich......I'm glad that you suggested to Joe that he put his  cool 57 into a build thread.
Joe......  That was a good move.  Now it is all in one place.  Fellow members I just want you to know that I drove Joe's 57 Ford.  It drives and handles like a brand new car.  When it is all done with the new 57 headlight assembly and the other cosmetic work, you are going to be very happy.   Jay

CobraJoe

Thanks Jay, was nice meeting up with you again, hopefully we can get a cruise night in this summer; maybe we can get DJ to come and pickup those '58 headlights in person!   :nutkick:

Before I went by your shop, I finished cleaning up the grill and the wiring harnesses. One step closer...

Also test fitted the new nose emblem:

Ecode70D

Joe
  It was nice hooking up with you today also.
   You grill looks real nice.  Right or wrong, I use a brush and paint the inside of them just to help hold back the rust that likes to form
in hidden places..   Jay

Lou

I have a show chrome front and rear bumper for a 57 Fairlane/Fairlane 500, never on car. Make me a offer, but they have to be picked up here (Milford, Connecticut)....Lou

CobraJoe

RICH MUISE

Ditto on painting the back side of the grille. I used por-15, brushed on also. Underside of splashpan was por-15'd before undercoating and paint, it's pretty tough stuff. I think I used por-15 silver to do the backside of the bumper.....not positive on that, but I was getting a little fanatical on por-15-ing for protection on everything not finish painted or normally visible..
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I am thinking seriously of POR-15 covering my frame. I can buy a cheap paint gun and spray it on and then if the gun doesn't clean up well enough to other uses...no big deal. There is a treatment to be put on over it,then it's good to go. Cheaper than powder coating and just as durable...maybe more so.
I POR-15 covered the inside of both of the 1/4 panels I replaced on my '69 Fastback Mustang before we welded them on. I am thinking about doing the underside of that car and the Courier as well before painting them. That stuff is hard as nails!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Thanks guys, I've used POR-15 in the past with mixed results. I use to use there Black on the Cobra chassis and on my plow.
I actually sandblasted all the accessories and parts for my 6V92 DDEC's in my boat and used POR-15 White on them. A week later they were not dry, and had to wash them all down and start over with a different product. You know how that stuff dries and you can't pry the cover off the can, you actually destroy the cover trying to remove it, well I left the can open for 3 days, and it never got hard. I brought it back to my paint supplier and they had it under the counter for a month waiting for the Rep to show up and it still stayed liquid.
Ever since then, I have switched to Rust Bullet with great results. I will probably use it on my '57.
I even used it on my '96 bronco when I built it a couple of years ago:

mustang6984

Never heard of Rust Bullet. I have never seen it in any paint store either. Where did you find it? Now you have my curiosity up.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker