News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Timing set up

Started by dungbeetle07, 2021-01-17 14:17

Previous topic - Next topic

dungbeetle07

Just installed plug wires and an engine grounding cable....damn squirrels!  Now I'm setting my timing.  272 with a 2bbl and a Ford-o-magic.  If I'm reading correctly, the ford shop manual says the initial should be at 6 BTDC; but where do I go after that?  I learned from an older mechanic that you can slowly and incrementally advance until detonation and then back it off.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

lalessi1

Conventional wisdom is to set the timing AFTER the centrifugal advance has fully come in without the vacuum advance connected. (Rev the engine until the timing stops advancing.) Not sure what Y-blocks like as a maximum number but with todays fuels it may be less than it used to be. I'm sure somebody will give you good info. I set my FE at a max advance of 36 degrees total (minus vacuum advance).
Lynn

dungbeetle07

So in your example:
-Disconnect/plug vacuum adv.
-Accel the eng until the timing fully advances.
-Then adj to 36 degrees.
And that is done regardless of what the vacuum adv does? So total could be more the 36.

CobraJoe

I agree, I never set base timing, just total advance, usually 36*-38*
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

dungbeetle07

thomasso

We always set initial timing 1 degree extra per thousand feet altitude plus few more, premium fuel used to be two cents a gallon more.  But then again I'm 80.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

SkylinerRon

1st check to see if the timing ring on the balancer has slipped. (Find true TDC)

Plug vacuum line.

Set total advance to 36* @ 3k rpm

Vacuum advance comes on when throttle is closed, goes off when you step on the gas.

If it pings try high test gas or retard spark about 2* and retry.

Good luck,

Ron.

dungbeetle07

Thanks Ron, great timing...???? just getting back to it.