News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disc brake lines

Started by chero69gt, 2010-03-29 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

I was just wondering, for those of you who have put the Torino front discs on your 57, how did you run the hard line to the brake hoses? I saw the pics of 57chero in the under construction gallery, but, I cant tell if the hardlines are run along the top of the frame or under the frame and then brought over the top to the hoses. If anyone has some pics of how they ran these lines I would appreciate seeing them.

Thanks, Roger

57tudor

Roger.
The front spindles and brakes on my 57 are from a 1972 Grand Torino Sport I found in a wrecking yard years ago. I used the original hard lines in my car and had the flexable hoses made by Earl's Performance Plumbing. If memory serves me right...LOL the OEM brake hose will also fit our 57's.

Rick.
57 Tudor

chero69gt

Thanks for the info, Rick. Mine didnt have the original lines on it so I was just guessing and didnt like the way that I did them. Can you tell me the length of your front brake lines? I would really appreciate it. I think Im just going to start over and do it like yours. Also, is the fitting coming out of the caliper a 120 degree?
Just wondering . 
        Thanks,  Roger

Frankenstein57

Make sure they are on the right side, bleeder on top. I ran my brake lines pretty close to stock, and bought the torino hoses.  Mark

shopratwoody

I took the brackets off the frame of the Torino and ran Torino hoses from the front side
of the caliper like factory Torino.
I hate blocksanding!

chero69gt

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I understand people are using the stock Torino hoses, but, what Im wondering is where are the hardlines at? Do you take the Torino lines and hook them in the same spot as the original lines on the 57? Or, do you run the hardlines in front of the control arms, like a Torino, with the Torino brackets. If you do run the hardlines up front, do you make your own , or, can you use the hardlines from the Torino.  Thanks to everyone.
                                                                      Roger

Frankenstein57

I had my car on a lift, which made it pretty easy to plumb the lines. I don't think I deviated to far from stock, maybe a little in the front. I just ran them were they needed to end up.Wondering if Ron or anybody had trouble getting there camber set with these. Ford calls for 1/2 to 1- 1/2 degrees positive camber, we set our car at 1/2 degree negative. I had my machinist buddy mill 1/4" off the a-arm crosshaft. Mark

shopratwoody

I'll be looking at mine. Looks like it may have settled some. They were at 0 when I put
together.
Roger, I ran new lines. You need to with the prop valve etc. Ran them to the front side where the hose
belongs. Check out the stock brackets for the hoses on the Torinos and such. Hoses go in to the
front of the caliper and so should the hose. :unitedstates:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

57tudor

Roger.
Sorry for the late response, been a busy week for me, and I'm retired too...LOL. As noted above, I had my lines made. They have a 120 degree fitting at the top that attaches to a "AN" fitting in each caliper. The line on the drivers side has an end to except the banjo style fitting used on these cars. (see pic) The passanger side line has the standard flair end to except the original OEM hard line. (see pic) The brackets on both sides of my 57 are the original OEM brackets, and I wanted it that way. No cutting or hacking off brackets. Both lines from my calipers to the OEM brackets are 16". After taking the pics, I see I need to clean things up a bit after ten years of shows and misl driving around. Shame on me for missing that...LOL
I also submitted an article on my brake project I did several years back when James was doing the monthly newsletters. Go to our front page and click on the newsletter button. Shoot, I can't remember which month it was in...CRS....LOL.
Good luck with your project.
Rick.
57 Tudor