News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

disc brake spindle swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2010-05-16 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

tryed some mid 80's crown vic spindles on my 57 doner car.you need to ream the lower ball joint hole and swap them side to side.the problem is that the upper part of the spindle where the upper ball joint mounts is longer than the 57 spindle.so what happens is the top of the tire is out about 1 1/2 inches and cannot be aligned.i just found some 77 granada spindles and am going to try them   

Lgcustom

I used mid-70's Thunderbird/Cougar spindles with disc brakes. Bolted right up.

canadian_ranchero

i was told you can have alignment camber problems with t-bird ones

FORDNUT

I've never had a problem with alignment, and have used the Bird/Cougar setup on every one I've owned.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

canadian_ranchero

do the t-bird ones lower the car like the granada ones do?

FORDNUT

I always get around 1.5" - 2" drop.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

JPotter57

The only alignment issues with the T-Bird spindles occur when you lower the car.  If you use shorter springs, the camber is way out and cant be brought back into spec without modifying the lower control arm.  Granada spindles are really the best choice, but I am using `70 LTD spindles on mine, bolt on, no reaming.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Do the LTD spindles give any alignment problems when dropped with springs?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2010-05-19 21:06
The only alignment issues with the T-Bird spindles occur when you lower the car.  If you use shorter springs, the camber is way out and cant be brought back into spec without modifying the lower control arm.  Granada spindles are really the best choice, but I am using `70 LTD spindles on mine, bolt on, no reaming.
thanks to every one for the information.is there anything else that needs to be done to install the granada spindles?i know about the lower ball joint needing to be reamed.

dgasman

No alignment problems with the LTD spindles
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

JPotter57

No alignment issues with the LTD spindles, like dgasman said.  No other issues with the Granada parts either, but you will need to eyeball the toe to get it to a front end shop, or set it yourself.  I did mine and it drove great.  When I put it on the alignment rack at work, it was dead on on the toe, and just needed one shim on each side to bring the camber where it needed to be.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

I used the mid 70's torino spindles on mine, they do change the camber and toe. On the 58 I milled 3/8 of an inch off the a arm cross shafts to fix it. Mark

jwtdvm

65-66 galaxie kelsey hays will work but kinda pricey----65-66 t bird will not---now a 67 tbird and 67 galaxie are same aqnd will work--again kinda pricey to do the calipers---68-72 full size will work but be aware after 70 I think the disc hub is bigger around and will not fit thru the older wheels--have to use appropriate ford wheel or after market---I just got done installing "scarebird" system and I think I like it---chevy s-10 calipers and 68 mustang rotors--the rotors were about 100.00 apiece which suprised me (be careful some computer parts list want to pull up 71-73 mustang rotors which are cheaper but will not work--ask me how I know)--at first I thought mustang rotors not big enough but actually they are same size as full size galaxie/tbird rotors of the mid 60's. While the rotor does appear small compared to a modern performance rotors but seriously I am not racing the car with repeated stops--I just want to make sure when I need one panic stop I got something there that will work with the scarebird no need to change spindles which is nice and It looks well made and there support is good as well guess I should mention that all the above is gonna require 15 inch wheels

canadian_ranchero

i have a chance to pick up a 77 lincoln versailles.the lower ball joints are different and i have been told they will fit a 57 with out reaming them.i am also told that the disc brake rear end is a bolt in.has anyone done this swap?

Frankenstein57

I have the versallies rear end in my 57, we went with a 4- link rear suspension so it didn't matter. But the distance between the centerpins is the same as a 57 leaf spring deal. So yes it will drop right on your springs. Mark