News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

easiest way to upgrade to discbrakes ?

Started by old skool, 2010-08-28 05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

old skool

hi guys ,

i got a 70 A ,but i want to upgrade to discbrakes .

wich or what's the easiest way or kit to upgrade my 57 70A to discbrakes ?

THANX ALREADY !

Frankenstein57

If you read the post on no drop spindle conversion, that sounds like an easy way to go. No balljoint issues or reaming of the spindles. He did say the Mustang rotors were a little pricey. Lots of options, power master cylinder is an option you could add later if needed. I raced a 63 fairlane 427 on the dirt with 3 wheel disc brakes, (locked rear axle), no power assist, stopped great.  Mark

canadian_ranchero

i am told that the lincoln versailles used bigger lower ball joints and the spindles do not need to be reamed

RICH MUISE

curious thought...I wonder if the junk yards in Holland specializing in "foriegn auto parts" are filled with Fords and Chevys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Old Skool, for the best, no drop swap, try to find a complete set from either a `70-71 LTD, `72-76 Torino, or `75-78 Thunderbird/Cougar.  Bolt on swap, no reaming, but sits at stock height, if you lower, weird things happen with the camber, hard to get it close enough to spec.  If you want it low, use Granada spindles, instant 2.5 inch lowering, then knock a coil from the springs or use Aerostar springs for another 2-2.5 inches of drop.  All you have to do is taper ream the lower ball joint for the larger `57 lower balljoint, and its a driver.  Works good too...Good luck..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way, you'll have to move the brackets for the brake lines to the front, once you bolt everything up, you'll see why.  No problem though, once you have the parts.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

jwtdvm

at least look into scarebird---dont have to remove spindles--uses original spindles---got them on my 61 galaxie---fit well--mustang rotors readily available and they are same size as mid 60 galaxie discs--will need dual master cylinder and proportioning valve but any disc swap will require that---68-70 full size bolts right on--rebuilt calipers readily available and disc rotors available at about 100.00 each---be forewarned most of these swaps will require 15 inch wheels-----kelsey hayes discs from 65/66/67 galaxie (and 67 t bird) work too but some what pricey on calipers--although autokrafters lists reman calipers at 100.00 with a core

RICH MUISE

good point with the original wheels no longer fitting. Old Skool...you'll have to also be ready for your wheel swap you were discussing on another post when you do your brake swap. The large center hole on the stock wheel is too small to fit over the rotor hubs. I read that the hole can be enlarged to clear, but the wheel still may have issues clearing the new calipers.

canadian_ranchero

if you do the granada disc brakes,you can use the 14inch steel wheels off the granada.if you use torino,77-79 bird, some of these had 14inch steel wheels.if you use the stock full disc hub cap,they look stock

Frankenstein57

If you use the wheels with the donor car, no problem. Is there much American iron available? Or are you shipping most stuff?   Mark

RICH MUISE

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-09-08 19:40
if you do the granada disc brakes,you can use the 14inch steel wheels off the granada.if you use torino,77-79 bird, some of these had 14inch steel wheels.if you use the stock full disc hub cap,they look stock
Of course Granada wheels. I have to laugh at myself sometimes for overlooking the painfully obvious.
Rich

old skool

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2010-09-08 20:17
If you use the wheels with the donor car, no problem. Is there much American iron available? Or are you shipping most stuff?   Mark

That's the big problem ,there isn't much american iron over here and the technical knowledge is also limtited over here in holland espescialy about the 57 ford's !

so i'm sort of required to order parts from the US espescially special parts for a swap ....

i was born in the wrong country  bawl

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: old skool on 2010-09-26 12:19
That's the big problem ,there isn't much american iron over here and the technical knowledge is also limtited over here in holland espescialy about the 57 ford's !

so i'm sort of required to order parts from the US espescially special parts for a swap ....

i was born in the wrong country  bawl
canada is a little better,at least we have US type cars up here.any special parts have to come from the US and you can almost double the US price by the time you get it.living in the US would make it alot cheaper to build a car