News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disc Brakes 2

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Tic
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Disc brakes   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to the 57 ford arena. I have a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 that I am working on. I have heard that disc brakes can be taken from a granada and will bolt on to a 57. Is this Correct and if so is there someplace that I can get more information on it?

57 Ford Kustom
`57 Fanatic

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tic look at this address is the old 57 forum there are others but the IDIOTS that don't have any thing else to do got in .http://p079.ezboard.com/f1957fords98638frm12
Here is one for the whole site http://p079.ezboard.com/b1957fords98638 Good luck.

T  M

aka: Bluedot kid

School of Hard Knocks Class of 1960

RAWms
`57 Fanatic

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:   

I looked at three options for my current '57 project:

1. Early 70's Ford Torino and Mercury Montego spindles. I did this conversion last time and was a direct bolt on. The tie rod ends were the only other change as I believe the spindle point were the tie rod connected had more beef. I used a (Corrected 7/15) power Maverick master cylinder without a proportioning valve on a non-power brake system. System worked great on a heavy Sedan Delivery. The reason I did not choose this option is that here in So. Calif I could not find the spindles. The wreckers here are crushers only keeping later model rice burners and Taurus it seems and very few yards make it easy to browse and get parts. There are a few that keep some of the old stuff and specialize in make/models and even specific years like a '57 yard in Ramona Calif. (Haven't been there yet as just found out about it).

2. The Granada swap - While chasing the spindles in option 1 above I also looked for Granada spindles. Again, here So. Cal. they are becoming hens teeth. Granada spindles will need to have the tie rod end reamed. The one pair I did find the guy wanted $250 for them. My spread sheet for this option was more costly for me in $ and aggravation. Check out DC Enterprises though as they offer complete Granada power braking systems for your car.

3. The option I chose was to stay with the orignal spindles and add a conversion kit. I bought the complete Master Power Brake system. While cost was around $900 (I think) it is complete and included all the matching components. Because my car is a Ranchero they provided the larger vacuum booster. It also utilizes a Corvette dual piston master cylinder. The car is six months from being on the road but I'm confident in it's braking system. Also, getting older the fun of digging for parts in the San Diego area is gone and wanted to go with an existing engineered system. Lazy? Yep.

Good luck, r

As of 11/12/06

hrsky
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Master Power Brakes   

RAWms, can you use the stock 14 inch wheels with this kit. Do you have some pictures of it. Thanks, HR.

RAWms
`57 Fanatic

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:   

Option 1 and 2 require 15" wheels. I do not know for the Granada swap but expect so. I took a sequence of pictures installing the MPB swap. I had to grind a little on the bracket to accept the caliper. I called MPB and discuss the issue and they ok'd what I did. The caliper must have had an anomoly as we never came to a conclusion why I had to modify the bracket. Provide an e-mail address, best thru PM, and I will send them. r

As of 11/12/06

custom300fe
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:   

You can run the Granada 14" wheels but not the 57 Ford wheels.

Tic
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: West coast area   

Is there anyone in the Washington (state) area that knows of a good source for 57 ford parts?

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.