News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Battery question

Started by JimNolan, 2016-01-11 14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys, I need some help here.
I've bought 29N Power Punch Batteries from Antique Auto Battery in Ohio and I've bought the Optima filled 29N Battery from Restoration Batteries. Neither one of those were any good and they tested at 350 CCA when they were new. Big disappointment. My Napa Battery I've been running since 2010 failed to start the car a couple days ago and before I get another one that is way too small for the battery tray I thought I'd check with you guys. Difference in 29N and 27 is the 29 is 5.5" wide and the 27 is 6.8" wide.
Have any of you used a group 27 battery and did it fit the Battery Tray. Walmart has a group 27 that has 800+ CCA rating.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Not sure, Jim, but it will fit mine.  I am not putting the battery in the trunk on this one, but I will modify my tray to fit a wider battery if needed.  My tray is missing, though the rear brace is there.  I was planning on fabricating one for a 29, but if the 27 fits with a little more work, I'd rather have the amps...Thanks..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
I took the 24FN battery out of the car just now and measured it. They list a 24FN battery as having a width of 6.8" and a length of 10.3". To get this battery in the tray I flattened the fender side bottom tray rail. That allowed the extra width for the 24FN battery. Worked good. The original battery (29N) was only 5.5" wide.
Now, due to the front sheet metal on the radiator support. You can only get a 12.1" long battery in it. The original 29N battery was 5.5" wide X 13" long and missed that sheet metal on the radiator support.
So, a BCI Group 27 Battery that measures 12.1" long X 6.8" wide X 8.9" high should fit just fine. That is if you flatten the fender side bottom tray rail. The battery rests against the inner fender perfectly.
Walmart has a 27 for $103.00 that has 810CCA. It's a lead Acid battery. Walmart gets their batteries from Johnson Controls and Johnson Controls owns Interstate Batteries.

JimNolan

Picked up the Battery and installed it. It fit perfectly and I'm tickled to death with it. Hopefully it has the 810 CCA's it says it has. That means it's got close to 1000 CA's. Now all I have to do is make another hold down bracket which isn't hard.

JPotter57

Did you end up getting the WalMart battery?  I didnt know that it was made by Johnson....good to know.  The older (N)everstart batteries, I was only ever able to get 2 or 3 years out of them before they would take a dump and strand me on the side of the road.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

geraldchainsaw

whats the deal with the battery?,   is it close to orig or what?,  i've always used a sears die hard with noproblems,    jerry

JimNolan

No big deal Jerry. I just wanted a lot of CCA's with a aftermarket battery. The only original 29N that they make is really too small for bigger, higher compression engines and I wanted to find the biggest battery I could find that fit the original battery tray.

Contibob

I have been buying all my batteries from Costco. They now carry Interstate. Lowest price and best warranty.

SkylinerRon

Most all 57's came with a 29F battery. Air Conditioned cars came 27F. The "F" indicates reversed terminals.
The repop battery trays being sold are for the 29F. The 27 is .5" wider than the 29 and the tray can be widened for it (on the engine side) but, the 27 tray is not being repopped.

I haven't had any problems w/the repop 27F lead batteries but, there are H-D 27's made for tractors that should work for you.

Goodluck,

Ron.

hiball3985

I put an Interstate in mine, I've always had good luck with them. The last one in my truck lasted for 9 years. I got a repop hold down, I think it was from Macs.. Interstates are made in Mexico now, don't know when that change took place.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

This gentleman is the Walmart battery I bought. 1000 CA's, 810 CCA's, Mega Tron Plus 27.

hotroddonnie

I put in an interstate battery in mine, one of the best I think same specs as Jims. I bought mine 3 years ago from a jobber, probably paid top buck but I wanted the best. I hope the quality doesn't start to drop like everything else on the shelves!!!! HRD

jdwilker

My '57 Skyliner came with the wider tray that accommodates the group 27 battery. This makes sense given the electrical load of the top mechanism. It's a no-brainer to go with the 27 (800 CCAs) vs. the 29 (450 CCAs) if you can.