News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

WANTED FE 428 Counter Weight

Started by 57tudor, 2018-05-18 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

57tudor

Hi Guys,
This is non 57 Ford stuff but many of us have FE's in our fords. I have been looking for the 428 Counter Weight, nick named Hatchet counter weight. DSC Motorsports, and Survival are a bust after three weeks waiting for a response. Berry from Survival finally responded this evening PCT, stating he can't get them from the supplier at this time. So having said that I'm looking for a good used Hatchet counter weight if any of you are into the FE's and may have one available please let me know if you are willing to part with it and how much. I have two car shows this weekend, so I will check back when I get in form the shows.

Many Thanks,
Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

59meteor

Hopefully you are aware that the vast majority of Ford 428 FE engines do not use the counterweighted spacer on the front of the crankshaft. The only 428 that used the "hatchet" counterweight, was the 428 Super Cobra Jet version, which were only used in Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane/Torino, Cyclone models, and only when the optional 3.91 or 4.30 rear axle ratios were ordered. The 428 engines used in Thunderbirds, Galaxie, full size Mercury cars, as well as the 428 Cobra Jet engines in the Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane/Torino and Cyclones, did not use the front counterweight. All the 428 FEs did have a counterweight on the flywheel (manual transmission), or flexplate (automatic transmission), but only the SCJ also used the front counterweight. The Super Cobra Jet crankshaft, identified by 1UA stamped on the crankshaft counterweight , is lacking the small center counterweight near the middle, that is present on the 1U and 1UB crankshafts used on regular 428 and 428 Cobra Jet engines. All of this was due to the heavier "LeMans" version connecting rods used on the Super Cobra Jet engines. So unless you have a true 428 SUPER Cobra Jet engine, with the LeMans rods, you do not need the front counterweight. Adding that front counterweight to a regular 428 or 428CJ will cause an engine vibration. And if you do indeed have an actual 428 SCJ, be aware that the front counterweight also requires a specific stepped crankshaft key, and the harmonic balancer is slightly larger OD, which in turn uses a different timing pointer. (although the regular timing pointer can easily be bent slightly to work). The "big car" 428s and the 428 Cobra Jet engines used the same, round, non weighted crankshaft sleeve behind the harmonic balancer as any other non SCJ FE engine.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

57tudor

59 Meteor,

Thanks for the great info. This is the first time dealing with anything related to the 428. The new 428 crank I got came from Scat, along with a new damper from Scat. I had a chat with their tech support agent in regards to balancing that crank due to the fact that in the catalog it states internal balance. In referring to the notes in their system it all stems around the bobweight, how heavy or light the total bobweight is. They said it wouldn't heart to have the counter weight handy in the event that it was needed. Also in the notes, they stated that some heavy weight was added to the front counter weight with a project that they did. I'm thinking that might be the case with my new setup. Will see what the balance shop comes up with. I have the H-beam rods and a set of JE pistons for this stroker project. I plan to pull the 427 out in two weeks, get everything balanced, freshen up the heads, and my leak proof Edelbrock water pump that leaks will be sent back to them for repair.
Thanks again for the great info.

Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates: