News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heavy Duty transmission shift levers

Started by Randyh, 2014-12-03 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

Wonder if anyone would be willing to help.  I am in the processing of restoring (long way until done) my father's '57 Custom, it has the heavy duty T85 transmission that was used in dual 4-barrel and F code cars.  The car was disassembled years ago and now I can't find the shift levers that go on the transmission, I have found the rods that go from steering column down.
I haven't found anyone willing to sell a set would anyone be willing to lend me a set so that I can machine a duplicate set. 
Thanks,
Randy

petew

I have the standard 3 speed out of my country sedan that I replaced with a T-85 since that's what was original to the car. The shift levers appear to be the same on both trannys and each trans worked with the existing shift linkage in the car.
I have been trying to give the trans away so I guess I would give the shift levers away. Let me know what you want to do.

Pete

clusterbuster

The shift levers in the picture appear to have grommets in them. Is that what I am seeing? If so my 3 speed tranny has no grommets where the linkage connects to the levers. The linkage rods flop around a lot  where they are connected.

petew

Yes, rubber grommets are key to getting rid of slop in the linkage Obsolete Classic Auto parts part # C3TZ-7343-A kit $4.95

Randyh

Pete, those levers look correct according to the parts manual,  I would really appreciate getting those from you and will try them.  I am sending you a PM.
Thank you,  Randy

petew

Ok Randy I have your address, I'll pack these up and get them out in the next couple of days.

Pete

clusterbuster

hiball3985

Quote from: petew on 2014-12-03 17:45
Yes, rubber grommets are key to getting rid of slop in the linkage Obsolete Classic Auto parts part # C3TZ-7343-A kit $4.95
Those would be great. I'm assuming they will require a little larger hole to use in the 57 arms, even my 61 T85 doesn't have them. Going by the part number they are for a 63 up.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

The 3 speeds from my 56 Merc and 57 Ford both had them , I believe they came that way. The part number may indicate the latest variation on them.

Zapato

Early Broncos and other Fords of that era used plastic bushings so that may be another option/solution.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Randyh

Pete,  Can you tell me which of the two versions of speedometer gears your T85 transmission uses from the below picture.

hiball3985

Quote from: petew on 2014-12-04 18:19
The 3 speeds from my 56 Merc and 57 Ford both had them , I believe they came that way. The part number may indicate the latest variation on them.
Thanks Pete, I'll order a set and see how they fit..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: Randyh on 2014-12-04 19:51
Pete,  Can you tell me which of the two versions of speedometer gears your T85 transmission uses from the below picture.
My T85 used the one on the right that says 57-59....
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Randyh

petew

My T-85 is out of my 56 merc so it uses the variation in the left. The one on the right offers a much larger selection of speedo gears.

Pete