News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heavy Duty transmission shift levers

Started by Randyh, 2014-12-03 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

My T85 is out of a 61 390/401hp car so the 57 type speedo cable worked fine. If you need gears for the earlier 56 type you have check the ones for trucks also, the light duty truck trans used them through 1960, I had to change mine when I changed rear gears..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Is the T85 a hard transmission to find?
I hear you fellas talk about them and I was just wondering.I have a good friend out East who needs one and he is having a hard time finding one(Saying that,I am sure there are a few variations on that model)
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2014-12-07 06:05
Is the T85 a hard transmission to find?
I hear you fellas talk about them and I was just wondering.I have a good friend out East who needs one and he is having a hard time finding one(Saying that,I am sure there are a few variations on that model)
They are getting hard to find and there were variations. Earlier this year a member had two for sale for a friend in the for sale section, I believe they were in Texas. I was just lucky that a friend bought a 61 Starliner 390/401hp and didn't like the overdrive so I got it when he put in a 4 speed top loader. They are pretty much bullet proof, I also had one in my 57 back in the late sixties after blowing numerous standard 3 speeds.

Note: many T85 use a different output shaft yoke and they are even harder to find..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

thanks Jim!
My pal is from out east and has a very nice 500 Fairlane.I have told him about this site and mentioned he should join.

Ecode70D

Jeff
     As Jim just mentioned, the T85 transmissions are bullet proof.  Jim had to wait patiently for his friend to take the one out of the 61. The person was not in a rush to do the swap.  I'm happy for Jim that he finally did get that one.
   Back in the day I blew up a lot of the early Ford transmissions.  When I installed a T85, it solved that problem for me.  Every time I sold a car I took the T85 out and installed it in the next car.  My old T85 was still in my possession up until just about 5 years ago.  It is now in the Y block 1950 Ford that is the clone car for the one that was blown up in the movie. 
    Talk your friend into joining this site.
Jay   

Jeff Norwell

I will Jay, He is a solid fella and a good friend.
So, was the T85 regarded as a OD transmission or just a reg. 3 speed.
Just trying to gain info.
Was the truck unit a stronger piece?

Ecode70D

Jeff
   The T85 came in both overdrive and non overdrive.   They do not have full synchromesh and one can not shift back into first gear without coming to a full stop.

As I have stated before, when I was working on my 57, I installed  a mid 60's Ford three speed with full synchromesh.   The nice thing about them is that they came with both bolt patterns built into them making it easy to bolt them in earlier Fords like FE and Y blocks.

When James was with me last week I demonstrated that many times while we were
"trying out" the 57 .  You  all know how it is when puling up to a traffic light and the car is still rolling and the light changes.   

The mid 60's and up Ford 3 speed transmissions might be easier to locate than a T85.

Mid 80's Ford had a similar tranny with a floor shift. It was a three speed with a fourth gear that was overdrive.   I have used lots of those in the past in several of my 34 Fords.     

Jeff Norwell

Great Info Jay! I really App. it!

Zapato

we had a 66 Fairlane GT with a full synchro 3 speed, that thing was bulletproof. anyone know what the model designation was for it.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lalessi1

I have a spare 3 spd toploader out of a 64 Galaxie. If there is any interest let me know.
Lynn

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2014-12-09 13:05
I have a spare 3 spd toploader out of a 64 Galaxie. If there is any interest let me know.

The later 64 3 speed transmissions were top loaders and were full synchromesh.  They were the only ones made with the single bolt pattern.  If you post a picture of I I could identify it for you.  Depending on what  Jeff's friend is building, that could be just the one that he needs.     Jay   

lalessi1

Jay, It does have the single narrow bolt pattern and it is full syncromesh....I think. Here it is. I bought it off ebay with a Hurst Indy Shifter for $75 + shipping. I don't know much about it but it shifts and the gears turn freely.  I found a local deal on a 4spd toploader before I got around to using it.
Lynn

Ecode70D

That's the one.  I'm going to call Jeff and tell him to look at your picture.  His friend should use that if he can't find the T85.  (depending on what he's building) Jay

hiball3985

The T85 design was what the T10 four speed came from..

The three speed all syncro top loader was a 303. They did have some models with a dual bolt pattern
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Guys,I will pass the pic on.Trent Steeves is my pals name and he is waiting to be accepted on the site.
He owns a 57 500,very very nice car.They are swapping out the 272 and installing a 312 2x4 engine.
The trans he is looking for is not a Ford car, BUT a very famous race car that used a T85.
I can't say much more than that(and probably too much already)
But, I can tell you that the T85 seems to kick but over any earlier Ford transmission.I know it's not a part of this board, but I DETEST 39 Transmissions in my early Hotrods.
In the future I would certainly use a T85 or the later Ford unit with OD.