News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Haven't turned a wrench in almost a week...

Started by RAWms, 2007-02-04 23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

...because the hard drive in the computer crashed.   The good news is the data file back up worked.  The bad news is I had not backed up the "Program Files" therefore started from scratch re-loading the applications. 

Three lessons for me (applies to PC DOS based systems, MAC users probably have similar files):
1. I added "Program Files" to my weekly incremental backup.  The weekly backup was capturing "My Documents, Desktop, and favorites."   The biggest loss here was previous e-mails I had filed away and e-mail addresses.
2. I had an e-mail folder especially for '57 Ford technical stuff that included procedures and pictures.  Lesson,  move those off into a folder such a "My Documents" OR be sure to backup "Program Files."
3. I use two backup programs.  One, Iomega for my weekly backups.  The second is Ghost which makes a bit image of the system disc.  If you loose the hard drive you can recover at the point you made the last Carte Blanche image.  I typically did this on Jan. 1 and July 1 every year.

But I learned something from my technical friends.  They all recommended I start from scratch and NOT re-Ghost my new hard drive.  That is because those multiple image back ups carried forward a lot of junk the occurred during the years the system was operating.  They use Ghost to clone systems where they will build one and then clone 5, 10, or more computers for a customer that are to be alike. 

So my plan is after this system has all of the applications back I will perform a single Ghost.  If I have to do this again I will recovery Ghost to a new hard drive that will look like my system dated Feb. 2007.  That will preclude all of the installation steps and be pristine.  Further, those applications will, by themselves, go retrieve updated versions from their respective vendors.

Thats my story so be sure you are backing up your systems and you are backing up important files.  Especially those procedures folks here have provided.   Get those pictures into "My Documents" and "My Pictures" or something similar.  Since I lost many of my friends from here e-mail addresses I request you send me an email to re-establish contact.  Since the Ranchero is almost complete looks like the last periodic progress report was the last. 

Now to go turn a wrench tomorrow.  Tonight is to catch up what has been happening here at 57fordsforever site.    Good luck to all of us, r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

briney

Roger,

I will send you my address and copies of the original emails you sent me, which includes some of your pictures and verbal accounts of what you were doing at that time.

We spoke about this... you gotta love computers  :burnout:

Patrick :unitedstates:
Dallas / TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

RAWms

Patrick,

Wonderful!!!!  I got the e-mails.   Thank you!!!!

r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

briney

Roger,

Glad to help you. I think we have all been where you were at some point.

Patrick  :unitedstates:
Dallas, TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.