News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Broken Hood Latch cable

Started by JimNolan, 2007-02-09 06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Anybody,
     If my hood latch cable were to break, how would I get the hood open. I thought I read this in the old forum, but I can't remember how to do it. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that hasn't thought about it. If you know, enlighten us.
Thanks, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim,
There's a plug in the firewall. Get to it from inside the car and used a screwdriver to open the latch. Not fun
but that's how it's done. My old 280Z you hsve to get to it from under the car.
Good Luck, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

Yep, I thought about that issue and drilled a hole while the dash was out and took these pictures.   They include measurements and I think the dowel illustrates what I was looking for.    Hope it helps.   r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

Thanks Guys, That looks like a lot of fun trying to do. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 Ford Kustom

Jim
    I believe that the grommet that you rtemove is accessible thru the left air vent unless you drill a hole like Roger did :003: Also it depends on where the car was made as the forum you were referring to there was a lot of discussion on different places the hole was. :deadhorse:

T:walk:M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

redshoes57

HAS ANY ONE JUST SCRAPED THE ORIGINAL FIRE WALL LATCH AND USED SOMTHING ELSE? I WAS THINKING THAT MAYBE YOU COULD USE A BEAR CLAW LATCH LIKE THEY USE ON DOORS.  USING A ROD OR SHORTER CABLE OR MAYBE A CELONOID.

shopratwoody

Using a solenoid might be cool,but i Wouldn't want to have to go thru that firewall hole again.If a relay goes
bad it won't open. If everything was accessable without haveing to open the hood, maybe then.
I've had to brake windows in the past with electric doors. Just a thought. :003:
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

fomocochoptop

I Would Put an Emergency bacpk-up pull handle Prevent from hood Lock out Maybe Right behind the hood latch under the dash.
When i installed my bear claw grease locks i reversed the position of the latch.I installed the Stricker Bolt on the Door nad the Bear claw on the B-pillar.  That way i could have a emergency cable i have acess to from the lower Quarter Panel.  If you guys like i can Post pictures to show you how.

smurfee

When I had my radio out I found a sloted screw like thing behind it that releases my hood! :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK