News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new smember

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2007-02-14 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

being new to this forum i have lots of  questions,   i do have other cars, like a 51 ford, and a 69 mach 1 mustang,  an thinking seriuously of getting a 57 ford conv,   what i would like to know is how available r parts, r there any books out there that i should get?,   anything i should know,  the conv i'm l;ooking at has a 312, (supposed to b rebuilt)  don't know what trans it has or rear end,   most body work is done and looks good,  but lots of parts missing,  theres a squirrel nest under the dash so i would have to have something on electrical,   should have made it short,  i'm just starting out so any info would b appreciaed,    thanks

smurfee

Welcome aboard, most parts can be obtained from members here or locations to buy, there is a nice 57 FORD shop manual but most any help you may need will be offered for asking - SMURFEE
NEVER LOOK BACK

shopratwoody

First, welcome :006:
Alot of the members have used a variety of wireing kits from different mfg cos. I decided just to wire mine from
scratch. Not a big deal, just took a little time. That 312 will run forever if it's in good shape. The trans should be
a Fordomatic and the rear will be a 9". Pretty straight foward. Other folks on here will tell you about the
Y Block web site I'm sure.
Take Care, Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

Hi :006:
   Glad to see you made it :003:
   Wow see I made it to a V8

T:walk:M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RAWms

Welcome aboard.  :welcome:

This is best group of folks on the net with an amazing knowledge and problem solving information.

The parts after market has been good to us and there are plenty of parts yards specializing in the '57.  You might check the floor pans to see their condition.  They have a hard life it seems.  It is probably because of a rubber connection that drains the cowl to the outside of the firewall.  If the rubber leaks after 50 years it will allow water to the inside of the car.   They are forgotten and I don't know if they could be replaced with the fender on.  Not to fret, nice new pans are available.

Good luck, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57AGIN

Gerald: 

Ditto on the welcome aboard.  Besides the available shop manuals, and parts yards, there are a number of after market suppliers, although many just deal in the more cosmetic pieces.  Specifically:  Concours AutoParts (800) 722-0009), Dearborn Auto (?), Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts (800) 476-9653), Mac's Auto Parts (800)777-0948 and probably some regional specific companies.   We have 3 or 4 local Ford parts companies here in Southern Calif.  I believe all of the above have internet access and have good catelogs.

Good luck and hope you do get that convertable and join our group.

Bob
57AGIN