News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Paint at Home

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2007-03-17 10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

I don't know if any of you would be interested in laws in your state regarding Painting your car at home. There is a article in my new Rod & Custom that came yesterday mail. It talks about what ASA and NADA and others are trying to make it illegal to paint at home. In defence of ASA and NADA they are riding the fence at this point . It also gives a  web address for most states info.
       I do my own painting and my son does his and we want to stay doing it. If they want to do something restrict the sale of rattle cans some of our buildings and railroad cars would look better.
       If the states get their way in a few years it will be illegal to change your own oil or work on our cars outside a certified shop.  Give them a inch they take a yard.
       Sorry for the venting of my opinions that is my 2 cents worth.

T :burnout:M    :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RAWms

I'm with you Tom.  The Greenie Weenies won't be happy until they have us back on horses.   :horseapples:   It never ceases to amaze me at the goofyness of our so called leaders especially here in Kalifornia.  There are real issues that need addressing.  I bet only 1 in hundreds change there own oil and 1 in thousands do there own painting.  The Jiffy lubes want you though and they are coming to get you through your representative(?).

btw, want a few fruitcake laughs?   Check this out:

http://www.cindysheehanwatch.com/

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

Hoosier Hurricane

One of the advisors that writes in the Studebaker Club magazine is a professional body man.  This same question came up some time ago.  He stated that the exhaust systems in body shops only remove particulate matter, and the solvents are vented to the atmosphere.  Therefore painting at home is no worse than painting in a booth at a body shop.  Water based paints is probably the ultimate solution.

John

Mavaholic

I dont care what laws are passed, I'll always paint my own stuff. Besides, I'm the only guy I can afford.

larryb346

well mav that will be great till you can't buy paint anymore. Tried to paint any nitro cell. lacquer lately? Your not because you can't buy it. I do body work for a living and I have to be certified, my shop is inspected by the state, I have to account for all my hazard mat. even the thinner I use to clean has to be accounted for.Today anyone can buy painting supplies but I can promise you that time is coming  to a end. It is being discussed in all the trade publications and no one is happy about it but the handwriting is on the wall.

RAWms

Wow, that sounds grim for color. 

So who is profiteering from the the restrictions on paint OR is it truely the enviro-nuts needing to save us all?   

I gotta find a paint supplier in TJ.

r

btw, I read Malaria is on the rise in So. America, Africa and here is San Diego.  The cure: DDT!!!!!!  Works wonderful. 

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

I have painted cars for 50 yrs now, not for a living though. Mostly friends and several for a few bucks. The
57 Ranchero I'm in the middle of will be done with PPG acrylic enamel. I have 3 gals of the top of the line
that I prefer to most other paints. I called a paint store in Arizona to obtain the hardener and the reducers
that I like to use. Friends coming back from there brought the stuff to me :003: I love the way the stuff
works and buffs out and last forever. That being said, soon there will proly be water born only. Just crap IMO
early GM pickups were water born. Very hard to deal with. Maybe we can buy paint in another country :unitedstates:
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

larryb346

Roger
The problem is multifaceted. The green people want all chemicals outlawed and the paint people do not want to sell to anyone but pros due to the ingredients in the paint. The stuff in the base coat/clear coat is extremely toxic not only to breath but is readily absorbed through the skin and even the eyes. They want to eliminate their liability and now all paint is labeled "for use by professionals only" to try to limit that liability.
The body shop industry is way behind in that their paint booths are old and exhaust into the open air instead of recycling the air and removing the paint. I think homeowners are going to be the losers, as they have no lobby in congress. I have my own shop  and rebuild totaled vehicles to sell and I have to go to training classes every year and keep my stuff in order to be relicensed as a rebuilder and I am the only one working in the shop. To buy paint products that are beyond the homeowner class I have to show certification cards and I am in Missouri. Some of the eastern states were going gangbusters a few years ago to outlaw all paint that was not water based but I have not kept up on that but that is where it is headed I am sure. We might not live to see it but it is going there and the days of us doing many things to our old cars are numbered including painting them.
Larry

RAWms

larryb346,

Great post.   I understand that "L" word.

thx, r

...as of Apr 2007