Anyone on the Forum have a '56 or '57 T Bird? I've got a ? about the Horn Wiring

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-10-05 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I acquired a '56 / '57  T Bird Steering Column and Steering Wheel, that I would like to use on my Ranchero. From what I see, the Horn wiring, and the Horn Contact, go inside the hollow steering shaft. I did not remove the column, so I don't have first hand knowledge of how the horn wiring exits the column and doesn't interfere with the steering column shaft connection to the gear box. Hard for me to imagine how that is accomplished. And, no, I'm not planning on using the T Bird gear box. I have a R&P and the connection from the T Bird column to the R&P would be a Borgeson universal joint.
I'm hoping this is doable, but I guess it depends on how the wiring was originally done and if I can come up with some way to make it work.
Any and all information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John 

ragtop

the wire goes throw the column center and the gear box shaft center and the column slides on a spline gear box shaft birds have a telescopic column in them and has a locking collar behind the wheel that you have to loosen and tighten to move in and out and inner shaft slides on gear box shaft the gear box shaft is only about 1 1/2 foot long and splined

KYBlueOval

Thanks Ragtop. I've been thinking about this, and "believe" I could make a new contact plate and relocate the grounding contact and wire, so it exits the column with the turn signal wires.
Anyone else have thoughts on how to rewire the horn so the contact and wiring does not go through the hollow steering column shaft?

lalessi1

John, I am not sure about the details comparing the T-Bird and the other '57's but if you use a '58 steering box you have the same problem you are trying to address. There is a lot on the forum about solutions, I used a '59 turn signal/horn contact plate with a '59 wheel. I did try to rig a solution that worked "sorta" for a while.
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-10-05 19:33
John, I am not sure about the details comparing the T-Bird and the other '57's but if you use a '58 steering box you have the same problem you are trying to address. There is a lot on the forum about solutions, I used a '59 turn signal/horn contact plate with a '59 wheel. I did try to rig a solution that worked "sorta" for a while.
Lynn, Thanks. Can the '59 turn signal/horn contact be used on other steering wheels .........or will it only work on a '59 wheel.......if you know. I know where I can get the switch/contact plate. Wondering how different the '59 Steering Wheel is from '57's........Fords or T Birds. Size and shape I believe are the same. Is the hub and cancellation tab different?
Do you know if a '57 horn ring will work on a '59 wheel? I know where I can get a '59 wheel and switch, if that is the best solution, but I'd like to use the really nice '57 T Bird wheel I have.
John