News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator

Started by scottegibbs, 2020-09-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

scottegibbs

Hi again! I've searched around the topics and couldn't find the answer so I'll ask... When at idle, I get about 13.5 v at post A (from gen) on the voltage regulator but get only 12 v at post B (to batt). That's obviously not enough to keep the battery charged. What should the voltage be at post B? I think I'm basically answering my own question about the v reg being bad and needing replacement! LOL So what exactly is the VR doing at post B? Thank you for educating a dummy!!!
Scott
.         ____________              1957 Ford Fairlane
         /                     \             1990 Ford Ranger
      |\  ----------------  /|          2005 F-250
      (o)____________(o)          2016 Escape
      (______|___|_____)

scottegibbs

Well, I ripped into the voltage regulator today. Cleaned up all the contacts and wire connections. Now at post B, I get up to 14 volts at idle but it oscillates a little... sometimes down to 6 volts... I'm so confused on how the generator and voltage regulator work. Post A seems to oscillate from 6 to 14 volts also. Is that supposed to happen? I assume that's why I get 6v to 14v at Post B. Maybe the generator belt is slipping to cause it to oscillate as I hear the belt screech every so often when I rev the engine. I'll keep digging into this!
.         ____________              1957 Ford Fairlane
         /                     \             1990 Ford Ranger
      |\  ----------------  /|          2005 F-250
      (o)____________(o)          2016 Escape
      (______|___|_____)