News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Daily Driver Raunch Wagon

Started by gasman826, 2017-01-04 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Left door restoration begins.  In keeping with the theme of the Raunch Wagon (fix only what keeps me from driving it), I violated that theme with a total rebuild of the left door.  The door only needed new glass but why not replace the channels, anti-rattles, rehab the locks, new outer door handles, replace the door latch, service the window regulator, new vent window and gasket, and start off right with new paint.  While working on the door, I pulled the NOS rockers out of storage and well...

gasman826

just finished hanging a fresh set of doors.  I was impressed that the fitment issues with the original doors carried over to the backup set of doors.  Since both sets of doors have the same issues, it must be the car.  My Raunch Wagon goal is just to stabilize and preserve for the next owner.  This winter's project list included rebuilding the doors with new glass, division bar, channel, anti-rattles, outer door handles, seals/weather strips, and service the locks, latches, and window actuators...and some paint.  The left outer rocker was replaced but the right side is moved to next winter's project list.  All adjustments are maxed out to get the doors just close to satisfaction.  The doors are functional for this summer but will be revisited when the fenders are removed.  Then, the doors hinges can be reworked (if necessary) to get the required adjustment range and the fenders adjusted to the doors.  Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, some alien hacked the lower fenders into place by welding the fender to the 'A' pillar rather than repair the lower fender to rocker mount.  So proper door mounting will be another winter's pick list.  Winter is past and it's time to cruise.  That's a little tough to take today as I look out the window at this Spring winter-like ice storm.  The wagon sits in the driveway encapsulated in 1/2" of ice and 6" icicles hanging from the bumpers!

glenmichael

Just wanted to say looks real nice, enjoy watching the progress.

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-02-21 14:21
...The door only needed new glass but why not replace the channels, anti-rattles, rehab the locks, new outer door handles, replace the door latch, service the window regulator, new vent window and gasket, and start off right with new paint.

Where did you get the parts used in this refresh?  This will be in my sedan's future as well, as finances permit. 
Terry

gasman826

Thanks Glen.

Parts?  The Custom was all Steele Rubber except for the Top CatWhiskers and original restored outside door handles.  The wagon was all Steele Rubber except for the Top CatWhiskers, universal division channel, Carpenter seal, and Carpenter outer door handles.  I could see no difference between the DC door seal and the SR door seal (DC seal a little cheaper).  There is very little price difference between restoring outer door handles and DC door handles.  Six months + wait time for handle restoration...DC handles made in China(left side DC handle required trimming for the button).  The SR division channels are NOT the right size.  If I remember correctly, the SR division channels are 9/16" deep which leaves the chrome beading a little proud.  This doesn't hurt the function and performance...just an anal thing for me.  Both the division and top/rear channel were glued in using JB Weld.  Good, bad, wrong...it is what I used and will continue to use unless something better comes along.  On the division bar, I used very small screws with oval heads and lock nuts.  If I were do another set, I would likely use rivets at least on the top hole.  The nut does interfer with the vent window gasket a little (seems to seal OK with no wind whistle).  I used Vaseline on the door seals to help with break-in.

Used parts:  The wagon is my summer driver.  To get the most done in the winter, I have a stock of used parts that I call on from time to time.  This saves winter build time by not having to locate worn, damaged, or rusted parts.  I lay out a full set of parts, clean, lube, paint, powder coat, and rebuild sub-assemblies before tear-down.   The glass is cut locally using old as pattern.  I used rear fordor latches on the front doors.  Most (not all) rear door latches are much tighter than the front door latches.  I have found many differences in just the inside of the doors.  Some window actuators and linkages are plated and others painted but will interchange.  Another oddity is that I have found two different pin types on the top of vent windows.  Some are straight pins and others have a groove cut in them.  Most of the groove types had the tip broken.  Both styles fit the frame but the retainer is different.  For the first timers,  the outside door lock retainer must be pushed toward the outside of the door as it is pried toward the rear.  The clip does NOT come out.  Just move it enough to release the lock assembly.  Pulling the clip all the way out will ruin it!  There is no gasket for the lock...just the handle.

Not bragging, just saying I've gotten comfortable with the inside of a Custom door.  Now, if I had just taken pictures, I should write a Tech page.

gasman826

Sway bars:
- Front is an ADDCO with increase in diameter and poly bushings
- The rear is an ADDCO for '89 Crown Vic.

Sticks to the road real good!

gasman826

rear sway bar pics

gasman826

knockoff Drag Masters

gasman826

refreshed center with 3.89 gear, Traction Loc, shimmed pinion and aluminum Daytona support.

gasman826

hydraulic booster

doors rebuilt...ready for summer 2018

djfordmanjack

great to have it back on the road again in time, Gary ! Ford's the wagonmaker and the 57s sure are among the finest of them. wouldn't want to miss mine for a day!
You sure have a lot of improvements done to that old 57!
What's Club Clayton ?

gasman826

Hometown, dive bar where I spend too many hours.  Long gone.

gasman826

New radiator, fans, shroud, relays, breakers, and fan controller system.  It also required radiator relocation.  Road test tomorrow.

KYBlueOval

Gary, can you please tell me the source of the radiator, fans and shroud.
Thanks
John