News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

carb frost

Started by glenmichael, 2020-01-31 09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, last Sept. I purchased a new to me, 1986 f-150... Clean body, hardly ran, the price was rite so I dragged her home, a few days later the old pick-up is running great!! originally came with a 302 with manual trans, somewhere along the way they installed a 300 6-cylinder, fast forward to last week, haven't used the truck, 29 degrees out, started the truck fine, went inside, 3 minutes later she is having trouble idleing ? popped the hood and the base of the carb is covered in frost !! going to a junk yard this weekend to see if I can find air filter assy. parts to bring heat from the exhaust into the carb as that is missing.. I haven't played with one of these intakes or 1 barrel carb before, is there something I am missing other than heat to the air filter?? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time..

thomasso

Back in the 80s w e put a header on my friends 70 pickup, of course that took away the heat from the exhaust manifold.  The carb. would actually freeze up on cold days at highway speeds and stop the vehicle.  He would have to sit in the cold and wait for engine heat to thaw the carb. for another go.  Below zero temps.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, I have yet to make it to the you pick and pull yard, still needing to use the old pick-up, I did what you do sometimes, get creative and what better way to find a little heat in the winter than to go to Florida ?? Anyways it works, frost is gone and good for a laugh at the same time.