News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How to remove speedometer bezel

Started by Randyh, 2016-03-05 06:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

Can someone tell me how to remove the chrome bezels around the speedometer and odometer?

canadian_ranchero

they push out from the back,after the gauges and speedo are removed

djfordmanjack

not so easy ! there are little steel spring clamps that hold the speedo face and the bezel in. you have to carefully remove these first and the bezel will come out easily. I just can't find the pics of mine at the moment.

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

If you are replacing it, it will pry off from the front if you are careful. Start in a bottom corner. I can take pictures of an extra one I have if you need 'em. My clips stayed in (they can fall out), and I pressed the new ones right in.
Lynn

Randyh

I am either going to have mine rechromed or purchase a reproduction, are the reproductions identical to originals?  I see the little black spring clips in the back, I will try to take those out.  It looked like you have to bend the material over top of the steel retainer back and I didn't want to chance that.

lalessi1

The repops are not identical. The characters are simply painted on the flat back side on them. The characters are molded into the plastic on the originals and painted. The painted edges were not sharp on the repop I got as a result. Who can restore the originals?
Lynn

Randyh

Not sure, I may try Bob's Speedometer in Howell, MI if that is the case.

BWhitmore

John Wolff & Company, Inc. restores gauges.  Great work and reasonable prices.  They have a web site.

Randyh

I will check them out also.

Randyh

Got my bezel off without damage by starting at a lower corner in front and carefully prying up.  Have talked to both Bob's and Wolff's neither can restore bezel as the chromed plastic is one piece with lens.  I may look some more but may be stuck using a repop.

Randyh

Chrome Tech USA in Madison, Wi says that they can replate the chrome on plastic.  They say that they have done the '57 bezels before. I have sent them my original bezels and dash delete plates.  When I get them back I will provide update as to how they turned out.