Is the rear bumper on a '58 Edsel Wagon basically the same as a '57 Ranchero?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-03-31 16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Can anyone on the Forum tell me if the rear bumper on a '58 Edsel Wagon is essentially the same as the rear bumper on  a '57/'58 Ranchero? I've been told where there is a nice one for sale, but I don't know if the basic bumper design is the same on the Edsel wagon as on the '57 Ranchero. All I have to go by are pictures of the two bumpers, and I really can't tell. I realize the Ranchero has individual bumper guards and the Edsel wagon has a very different arrangement. What can you tell me?
Thanks and Happy Easter to all
John

rmk57

I would say the bumper would bolt up but you may have a couple extra holes from the Edsel bumper guard.

This is my Villager from around 15 years ago.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lgcustom

That Edsel bumper looks the same as any '57 Custom rear bumper. The Guards are what make it model specific.

djfordmanjack

love the Edsel Over (Under) rider! looks great.
58 bumpers have the same shape as 57. BUT...
compare pictures und you will see that the 57 Ford bumper guards sit at a wide distance and where the bumper mounts bolt to.
58 Ranchero or Edsel bumper guards are at a smaller distance, about where the dip for the license plate recess starts. therefore 58 bumpers have additional holes (for bumper guards). you sure could use a 58 bumper on a 57 , either plugging the holes or using the bumperguards it came with, but it will not be 100% correct for a 57.
I had a 58 rear bumper on my 57 SD Courier.

KYBlueOval

SkylinerRon

The Edsel rear guard looks cool.

58 Ranger/Pacer front bumpers and brackets bolt on to a 57 Ford and look great also.

Ron.