Engine not firing? Thanks guy's I got her going, it was the coil!!!

Started by johns2000, 2008-08-19 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

I need some help guy's!!! I tried to start my newly rebuilt 460 in my wagon and it doesn't seem to want to fire. I'm fairly sure I have the # 1 cyl at TDC and the rotor pointing at the # 1 contact for the cap with wire going to plug, good grounds, and gas in the carb so I'm at a loss!! I did notice the coil felt very warm after cranking the engine a couple of times for about 3-5sec and the battery I'm using is not the best, any thoughts?

Thanks everyone, I got it going it was the coil!! This 460 sounds real awesome and I'm sure it take me and the old wagon where we want to go.

Thanks in advance

shopratwoody

I would double check timing. Make sure it's firing on the proper stroke ie both valves closed
when the rotor is at #1. If it trys to fire but won't quite advance a little. Maybe check spark at plugs
with a tester. If this motor is fresh make sure everything is good enough to keep it running for 20 min
@ 2000 RPM to break in the cam and lifters. [ IMPORTANT} Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

i'm going to start with what usually happens to me when it won't start,   it usually because i've knocked off the wire that goes to the resistor mounted on the intake on the left side in back of the carb,   just a thought

wolfpupsdad

as ron memtioned but didn't come right out and say it, double check and make sure your not 180 degrees out at the distributor, coil getting hot???? make sure it's not hooked up backwards.