News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky'57

I went to a MAC about 6 years ago and never looked back. Still running the same unit, took it in for servicing once, guy said I smoke too much. Apparently the little intake fan sucks on the same side as my ashtray... Changed sides and haven't had a problem since.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2015-01-10 09:38
That would be me....my current system is a seven year old emachine with Vista.  Serves me well and will do so until the computer doctor says it is dead!  I don't face book, text, tweet, twerk or in-stagram.  Very little emailing, just three car related boards and an occasional surfing session to research something.
It's all relevant to what your needs are, I don't do any of the social media stuff either. Just like I can't use a laptop, they just don't have enough horse power to run the graphics programs I use, it would be like putting a worn out flat head six in a fully loaded double trailer semi and sending it up a 5% grade  :003: I don't buy off the shelf computers because they are loaded with too many programs that I would never use but would have to pay for. My present one is built from left over parts as my son upgrades his, many are now over 10 years old, I'm still using my original key board from my first computer in 1995  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: Lucky'57 on 2015-01-10 09:48
I went to a MAC about 6 years ago and never looked back. Still running the same unit, took it in for servicing once, guy said I smoke too much. Apparently the little intake fan sucks on the same side as my ashtray... Changed sides and haven't had a problem since.
I second the Mac comment with a caveat. I have an older Mac with an older operating system. My iphone 4s was backed up on itunes. After updating the iphone operating system a few months ago it would not communicate with the version of itunes on my laptop. I couldn't update my itunes software because the new updates were not compatible wih my operating system. I couldn't update my operating system because it wasn't compatible with my HARDWARE! I went to the Apple store and my resolution was to trade in my iphone for an iphone with the old operating system still loaded on it. All was fine until my wife washed my iphone in the washing machine.

New iphone 6....lost all my contacts, photos, no back up on my laptop... and I hate the new operating system and the phone. Apple wants me to buy a new laptop.
Lynn

57 imposter

I feel they want to make every device all things to all people. When I bought my first cell phone I said I wanted to send and receive calls, period. they looked at me like I was from outer space. There is not and never was such a phone or computer. I could get by with very basic capabilities on both a phone and computer. and I feel there are a lot of people who could do the same. I wish they would start with devises that do very little and let the buyer add the options that would fit his needs. If somebody ever does, they will have a sale at my house.    But I know it will never happen and it is just going to get worse 

hiball3985

I've never had a cell phone but the wife had a TRAK phone that only sent and received calls.
Most people buy computers at the box stores, loaded with crap they don't need and will never use rather then having one built with just the programs you want. It's just like the cars today, they want you to buy them off the lot filled with more crap then you want. I liked the old days when you could order a car with the options you wanted. Now there are no options except packages filled with stuff that someone else decided you need..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

I too have a Track phone.  The battery in it goes dead between trips.  I run out of days before I run out of minutes.  I buy a years worth of days and it comes with 400 minutes.  This last "buy" put 365 days on it on 10 Dec and the total minutes was 1098!

I don't think I'm missing anything by not having pictures of the inside of my pants pocket!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Thats funny  :003:. My son has a phone that takes better pictures then any camera I have, the technology amazes me..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I've got a basic cell phone....heck I had it two years before I found out it had a key pad..lol..I dropped it on the carpeted floor one day and the back slid open...sure surprised the heck out of me. The screen is so dim I can't see anything in daylight. My wif's smartphome has all the gismos, and I must say I sure like the quality of pics it takes, so I may be looking at a new phone soon...I sure can see the advantage of not carrying my full size camera at swap meets, etc. Now if I could just figure out how to download those pics to my computer.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jumping jack flash

57 imposter

Under self imposed, house arrest. My new Mac arrives today and I am not going to miss the UPS truck just in case they are going to require a signature. I get stuff all the time without signing but Apple may require a signature. I'm just not going to take a chance. Can not wait to get rid of this thing I have.

hotroddonnie

I try to keep up with the all new the technology. The thing is, by the time figure out how to use my new phone it's too old to use and I need a new one! I use mine for work and its my business number. Anyone calls me on the home phone is an old customer from 15 plus years ago that doesn't have my cell number. I have a Sony laptop and so far so good. Plus having two smart daughters that keep me updated when they visit helps! HRD.

lalessi1

I will say this about technology, working on 57 Fords would be a lot harder without computers,the internet, the forum,cell phones for pics, and email connecting guys with a common interest all over the world. That said I will stay stuck in the last decade technology wise. I started backing up my phone with a pad and pencil! No cloud for me unless I can see it in the sky. :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-17 11:49
I will say this about technology, working on 57 Fords would be a lot harder without computers,the internet, the forum,cell phones for pics, and email connecting guys with a common interest all over the world. That said I will stay stuck in the last decade technology wise. I started backing up my phone with a pad and pencil! No cloud for me unless I can see it in the sky. :003:
Lynn, that is so true. I fought off getting a computer for years until I lost the battle with my wife. Now I can't live without it but I don't try to keep up with everything new, at the rate technology advances these are obsolete before I can get them out of the packaging and working. It also a two edge sword with a lot of negatives but I won't go into my feelings about that..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I see negative impacts constantly as well, our social fabric is in shreads with no replacement material in sight.
Lynn

jvo

You won't ever regret buying a Mac computer.  My kids forced me to buy an iMac four years ago, and I haven't had a single virus or any other problem with it.  Posting pics is also way way easier on the forums that I use. 
We have an apple tv thingie as well, that we can have all our photos on the computer scroll on the tv the same as the computer, so we enjoy grandchildren's pics all day on the tv when we aren't watching something as well. 
Oh, I am so excited about my apple stuff, I just get all warm and fuzzy and have to tell everyone about it.   :003:

Oh, and I have a funny story about phones.  Several years ago, I went in to get a new company cell phone.  They took my old one into a back room to set it up, and were in there about 20 minutes or so.  I got impatient and went back there to ask what was the holdup, and there sat two tech people, and they said they were trying to find my "contacts" so they could transfer them into my new phone.  I laughed.  They said what was so funny.  I said all my contacts are between my ears.  I can't be bothered to punch all those little buttons to add that info into the phone.  I pretty much use it to call in and out still today.  I have internet capability on my iPhone, but can't be bothered to look at something on a minuscule screen.  I'd rather spend my time in the garage than with technological gadgets. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)