News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sunliner

Started by JRD007, 2023-11-30 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD007

Hello gents. I have an odd question. Anyone know what the weight of a 57 sunliner body is, the body is completely stripped. I'm putting it back on the frame, don't have access to a 2 post hoist, it's on a rotisserie as we speak.  Motor trans installed. Any easy ways would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks John IMG_4228.jpeg
49 shoebox coupe, 390fe 4speed
57 fairlane sunliner, 312 aod
64 fairlane sports coupe, 5.0l f/inj 5 speed
66 f100, 347 stroker aod
67 ranchero, 428cj tri power c6
57 Custom 427 fe, dual 4bbl, 4 speed.

mustang6984

I am guessing around 3800 pounds.
Bet Alvin knows for sure.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

Just the body.  Not 3800.  I would guess near 1500. 
I have picked up full qtr panels up on my own 150/200#  And trunk floors.  The heavier part is the whole firewall with some of the floor bracing. 

If you asking for how many people need to come over.  Min 3. But 4 should do it. How many beers?? Is the real question.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

cos

Hello  If you have ceiling framing heavy enough to lift body, this is what I did. Put lifting eyes spaced a little wider body into ceiling joists. Put 4x4s from firewall as far back as possible, bolts or all thread thru 4x4s at body mount holes. Bolt another 4x4 (90 degrees) to the front to rear 4x4s extending out far enough to lift with come-a-longs. My car was a ranchero, had to put cross 4x4 as far back as possible to get it to lift level. Might be able lift with cherry picker and move lifting point to center of cross 4x4. I can't imagine trying to lift  1500 lbs and get frame under it by hand. Good luck

mustang6984

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2023-12-01 02:27Just the body.  Not 3800.  I would guess near 1500. 
I have picked up full qtr panels up on my own 150/200#  And trunk floors.  The heavier part is the whole firewall with some of the floor bracing. 

If you asking for how many people need to come over.  Min 3. But 4 should do it. How many beers?? Is the real question.

I missed the part about just the body...OOPs!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

thomasso

I installed my body with a couple of cable hoists, not very heavy. Were you able to get body mount pads?  I had to make mine out of belting 20 yrs ago.  Body looks great.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

gasman826

Safety First!  Since the ceiling appears finished, that kinda lets out using the ceiling joists.  I've used boat lifts, backhoe and engine hoists.  I am fortunate to have one of the best tools in the tool box...a post hoist.  I use my hoist to pick bodies off frames and rotisseries.  Another great use is picking frames off and on my frame table.  Anyway, ceiling may be too low for a hoist.  Another method I've used is 'baby steps'.  I've blocked the body up with two 8' or greater 4x4s (or similar) across the front and rear and block up with wood caging, cement blocks, and even 55 gallon drums spaced far and high enough to roll the chassis in place.  I have always done this by myself.  I have seen four guys muscle bodies onto frames but I don't know four old guys with muscles.  I'm sure you'll figure it out!  Just use a bunch of masking tape on all the corners and edges.  You don't want to chip any of that beautiful paint. 

RICH MUISE

I did as Gary mentioned.......with a cherry picker, one end at a time until up on 4 x 4's on trunk-height jack stands. I also did it alone, but almost lost it once. Plywood sheets over my backyard grass wasn't the best scenario, lol......but it got done!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I used firewood rounds, large wood blocks, under the ends of 4 X 6's to support the body.  I found the balance point just slightly forward of the rear wheel opening. This allowed my body weight to counter-balance the firewall while someone removed the front 4 X 6.  One time, I got a couple neighbors to help lift the back of the body and remove the rearmost 4 X 6.  Another time, I cribbed and used a jack under the rear of the body to allow the rearmost 4 X 6 to be removed.   
Terry

mustang6984

My Courier removed from the frame by myself and my then 73 year old buddy.
MOTE: all of the tires had wheels mounted inside them. Very sturdy.
Did the same on the Courier race car 47 years back...only used 55 gallon drums then in place of tires.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

cos

I did a frame off on a TB forty years ago. Every one I talked to caution me to brace body as there is  no roof to tie things together ( chance of buckling rockers) I didn't notice any braces on your car. If you can not lift from ceiling or cherry picker as I mention, you might be able to make a heavy brace from front upper door hinges to striker plate, put across  bar to connect together and lift from it. may not lift level without finding lift point on brace.

JRD007

Thanks guy for  all the support.
Plan on 6 guys,a lot of beer after. A couple pieces of 2x2x8' tubing and were set. Will let you know the outcome. 🍻
66 f100, 347 stroker aod

JRD007

Christmas came early, 4 strong backs and lots of hydraulic jack work and we got it back together. Oh a couple of refreshments as well. Now to assemble doors,fenders,ect. Then let the final block sand begin.  Cheers to all and Merry Christmas to all. 
66 f100, 347 stroker aod

mustang6984

Congrats! Bet I know where your quiet time will be this weekend.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Well done,JD. Everything looks awesome. Lots of the hard work checked off, it's getiin' close to making it pretty. I'm looking forward to updates. Nice garage also, but way too clean unless you've got a maid wearin' a tiny french outfit tidying up! I'm jealous!
BTW, I always have a hard time opening this particular thread. Not sure why, anybody else having this issue?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe