News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sway bar

Started by 57chero, 2024-03-10 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

57chero

I've went through all the old post about the Southwest T-bird front sway bar, and I think I can fix the hanging low problem. My question is for you guys that are using this on their cars if your tires hit the bar when you turn sharp, looking at some of the pictures straight on it sure seems like they would. By the way they are currently $364 with shipping ouch!

RICH MUISE

I've got them on mine, never had a problem that I'm aware of, but now you've got me curious as to how close they come at a full turn. When I get my car back, I'll have a look. And by the way, I've only ever heard one person complain about how low they hang appearance-wise. Yeah, they could hit on a steep driveway if you go too fast, again, not really a problem, and my car is lowered in the front.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57chero

I've considered a couple other options, the 59-64 Galaxie bigger aftermarket bar but you have to drop one of the lower a-arms to get it in, not doing that and the 58 Edsel good location and easy to mount, not sure it would be much better than the stock 57 bar with no aftermarket larger ones available. The picture with the blue oil pan is the 59-64 Galaxie and the one with the orange oil pan is a 58 Edsel.

thomasso

Jeggs still lists the Addco 7/8 direct fit sway bar for 228.86 plus shipping.  The one I got a couple of years ago actually measured 1 inch dia. It did take a long time to get.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

terry_208

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-03-10 21:30Jeggs still lists the Addco 7/8 direct fit sway bar for 228.86 plus shipping.  The one I got a couple of years ago actually measured 1 inch dia. It did take a long time to get.

Is that the sway bar the one for the Thunderbird?
Terry

thomasso

No, Its for the Fairlane. I believe the T Bird bar is link mounted,  This one fits on the front of the control arms as original.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ford Blue blood

I used a 58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer front sway bar, the pics are about half way down on post # 128.  Easy install, just need to fab up a bracket to weld to the frame to hold the sway bar bushings.  The control arms already have the holes in them for the end links.  I've not done any "sport" driving with the Ranchero to this point, it would serve no purpose as all I have to compare it to would be the Shelby and that is a no contest situation!

The Addco bar mounts up just like the original 57/58 bar.  The T-Bird bar uses a mount that bolts between the frame and the front bumper brackets.

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.120
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Quote from: 57chero on 2024-03-10 12:40I've went through all the old post about the Southwest T-bird front sway bar, and I think I can fix the hanging low problem. My question is for you guys that are using this on their cars if your tires hit the bar when you turn sharp, looking at some of the pictures straight on it sure seems like they would. By the way they are currently $364 with shipping ouch!

I have one on my car and I raised it up by simply re-drilling the holes in the mounting bracket. My car is lowered and the bar has grease fittings on the bottom of the brackets that hang down (6" clearance) and they have never touched anything. The tires also do not hit the bar even at full lock. I have 235/60-15 tires on 7" rims with a 4.25" back spacing. I think the bar could be raised even further by replacing the bolts with welded in studs, maybe as much as 2" total and if you redesigned the bracket, it could be raised even more. '59 bars are a different design altogether and I tried to adapt one for my car but without success.
Lynn

57chero

Thats what I wanted to know, I'm using 7" wheels with a 4" backspace so it shouldn't be a problem and like you said I can raise it up .

57chero

One last question does the sway bar come out towards the front far enough to clear the part I have highlighted with yellow arrows If I raise it that far.

Jeff Norwell

57chero
the pics you are referring to are my custom 300.
I have installed the kit from Southwest T-birds on both my 57's.... One car is now on the road..... Zero issues.... the car in the pics is still in progress. I have wheeled that 57 around the yard(pushing) and there is zero wheel/tire interference.
The SWT-Bird kit is a very easy straightforward install.Takes about 30-45 minutes.Instructions are simple.
Yes. the costs have increased... and now by double.
But lets remember... although we love our 57's..... We are in a very small minority.A 56 Ford has way more parts availability than a 57..... or 58. So.. thats partial reasoning on the cost.
I feel in the upcoming years. aftermarket parts will get even more expensive.... or be discontinued.

anyhow, back to the question at hand.
I have never experienced any "Rubbing", bumping or interference with the kits purchased by SWT-Birds.
I found it to be a dramatic improvement over the very weak stock Ford Factory sway bar..... I have taken my Black 57 custom with the said sway bar installed and purposely drove hard into off ramp corners with no ill effects.
Before the install..... with the factory bar and old bushings.... the car would dive into corners and list like the Lusitania..... now..... it corners like a go-kart....
I still would like to try a rear sway bar.. but haven't made that venture as of yet.

I personally think this is a "must" on our cars.
both my bars are the big 1 1/8 bars....

Seems the cost has dramatically increased..

https://www.larrystbird.com/product/a5482e-sway-bar-kit-1-1-8/

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

***EDIT***

Apologies..... I may have ordered my second sway bar from Larry's T-Birds as I have shown the link.
It was 2 years ago..... and my first purchase of the Sway Bar for my black 57 custom was about 7 years ago...
(Time flys!)

I do remember the first sway bar was about $200....(7years ago) and the last one now installed on my custom 300 was 2 years ago at a cost of $340......

Sheesh.... now they are $440 and shipping may be extra.... (big awkward box)
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

Not to attempt to take anything away from the SW style sway bar...several owners have positive feedback.  But, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  I have installed many brands on many makes but have installed only ADDCOs on '57s.  I like the ADDCO because it installs in the original location, is lighter, is cheaper, is compact, is designed for '57s, and works great.  I don't road race but do have a tendency to a little spirted driving.  The ADDCO resists body roll very well.  In an effort to support the 'more is better' logic, in addition to the front ADDCO bar, I also installed an ADDCO bar on the rear of the Raunch Wagon.  Since the wagon was taller and heavier in rear, I thought the back side would need more control.  With both ADDCOs and QA1 adjustable shocks, the Raunch Wagon could take on most anyone in its class.  One caution on more control, be careful with what you wish for, with more control you may paid for it in loss of comfort.  That is, more control usually means less cushy ride.

57chero

All good points, but my question I had is would the bar clear the area highlighted with the yellow areas if I were to raise it a little.

RICH MUISE

It will not clear on mine......not even close. In fact my sway bar is totally underneath/touching that "whatchamacallit"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe