News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

SMS autofabrics

Started by djfordmanjack, 2024-03-12 06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Still in need for 57 Ford fabric and we have been discussing SMS in Oregon several times before. I ordered their samples a few years ago and they are a great match.

My question is: What is anybody's experience with the current situation at SMS? I just want to order the fabric by yards (enough for 2 cars) without them having to do any further sewing or upholstery work. Should I just go on and send them an email with the order without further price inquiry? How about shipping? Do they charge shipping once they have it all packed and add to the invoice?

Would be nice to hear about recent experience best and quickest way to approach them.

cos

Hello  Don't know what you mean about current situation at SMS.  I stopped by their store a while back to get samples. Looks like they are still doing business.

oldave57

I received new seat covers from SMS last fall (order took over a year, but I expected that) and they were a perfect match for my red interior.  As far as I know they are still doing business even though they have a very long wait time for finished products.  If you are order material only, I would think the order would be fairly short lead time but the best way would be to call them directly (503-263-3535).

Good luck,
Dave

57chero

There still going, He is one of the sponsors at one of the largest one-day car shows in August, they did my door panels and re-upholstered my seat for my Ranchero, I actually talked to him at last summer's show, he knows his 57s.

djfordmanjack

Thanx guys ! sorry I may have used some wrong wording, maybe implying any company trouble, which wasn't what I meant at all!
My question is, since they are known to have long waiting times (for sewn upholstery, panels or kits), and it appears they are much quicker sending out seat material by the yard, so was wondering if some of you have made good (and quick) experience with ordering cloth material directly.
I am really in no hurry for doing my seats, but with all the recent increase in postage cost, and exchange rate, I would hate to order stuff worth several hundred dollars and not knowing at which point in future I will get invoiced or goods shipped, customs, tax and such.

mustang6984

Just gonna stick my nose in here for a minute.

It would seem to me that if you ordered the material by the yard, and then took it to an upholsterer of your choosing the advantages would be faster delivery, cheaper cost of the material, and most likely faster delivery of your seats, (crossing international oceans and such) especially if the upholsterer is someone you have a prior working relationship with.

Just my thoughts. Back to my roost to watch now.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Exactly what I was thinking Hugh. Would be nice if somebody on here could confirm from their own experience.

I have an industrial Pfaff sewing machine from the 1950s so I'll do the upholstery by myself. The CS will be pretty straight forward because basically all the original vinyl and cloth pattern is still there and I just have to imitate the old patterns. Del Rio is basically the same, except for the split front seat backrest (2dr).

mustang6984

If you know the amount of material you need/want, and let me know, I would be happy to call them for you and ask all the questions. Including shipping time to you from them, or...whether it would be faster even to ship it to me and then have me pass it on to you person to person instead of going through business customs and hassles.
Just thinking out loud here...(and the thinking? Amazingly didn't hurt! WOW!  :003:  )
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2024-03-12 16:22Exactly what I was thinking Hugh. Would be nice if somebody on here could confirm from their own experience.

I have an industrial Pfaff sewing machine from the 1950s so I'll do the upholstery by myself. The CS will be pretty straight forward because basically all the original vinyl and cloth pattern is still there and I just have to imitate the old patterns. Del Rio is basically the same, except for the split front seat backrest (2dr).

G-Hugh-
That is precisely what I did.... ordered the materials and had my upholstery guy stick all together.... bench seat and door panels..... I think it's the best way to go.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

mustang6984

Those look SWEET! Nicely done Jeff!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Jeff, how long did it take for your SMS door panels to show up? I was going to order some for my 59 from SMS, but they quoted a 1 1/2 year wait, and I had heard from others, that may be optimistic. So I had a local upholstery shop make up some new panels from scratch, that closely follow my tattered old originals. I do have a new headliner and windlacing that I bought from SMS, but I have yet to have it installed.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Hugh.
Rory.I only ordered material.... I had patterns for the door skins.
It took 3 weeks to get the materials to my door.I believe if you have SMS make them its takes a lot longer.
The material and fit and finish my Stitch man did was awesome.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

FiveSevenLiter

G-Man,

I have ordered yard goods from SMS for my Mercury with no issues. 

I sent them an email this morning and they replying they were busy and would respond in 2-3 days.

They called me back this afternoon and said they were shipping in 2-3 weeks from order date, regardless if it was to the lower 48, Canada or Europe.

Weather is breaking here with 22C forecast for Saturday, will get the tire pressures checked and put a fresh tank on 92 Octane in Rowdy and go wake up the neighbours.

Good Luck,
T/F
 :canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

cokefirst

I ordered seat covers in the OE material for my 1956 F100.  It took almost 3 years for them to arrive.  I was still happy as I could have been out the money since you pay up front.  I am not sure my credit card company would honor a claim about goods not delivered in that time frame. I needed just enough of the vinyl material from the seat covers to match the seat covers to do the arm rests.  A 6" X 20" piece would have done both.  Their minimum was 3/4 of a yard, 54" wide.  Since I had to have it, I ordered it over a month ago.  Crickets.  Called, left message no return call.  I think I will get it, but my advice to you is not to be impatient as they seem to take care of business on their schedule.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

59meteor

Yes, SMS seems to be lacking in customer service, although it appears that there products are top notch. Still, kinda disturbing when they bill your credit card as soon as you place the order, and then you hear nothing afterwards from them. If I would have realized how long my projet 59 was going to take, I would have ordered door panels from SMS years ago, but when I was getting close to having the car ready to, and I called SMS, and they said 1 1/2 years, I had to look elsewhere. That said, I may still order a set of panels, to install down the road, although the panels that I had custom made, do look pretty nice.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.