News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

SMS autofabrics

Started by djfordmanjack, 2024-03-12 06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Most companies charge your credit card upon shipping...not on ordering.  Once and awhile, a hotel will charge at the time of booking.  I can see charging for custom orders but not while you're on the wait list.  I recently had a well known company charge my card on order only to inform me that due to Covid the order would not be filled for two months.  Four months later, my order was canceled, refunded and informed that my order could not be filled and would never be filled.  Whenever my card is charged on order, I always loose confidence and consider the company a little shaky if not shady.  Companies have the option to have the credit card company put a lock on the order amount without completing the purchase and the card holder is not paying interest.  Recently, it has become common for restaurants to add nearly four percent to the bill for paying with a credit card.  In the run toward a cashless society, I'm tapping the brakes and going back to cash.

lalessi1

A friend ordered door panels from SMS, it took about 6 months last year. They looked great and he was pleased.
Lynn

Marc

I ordered mine about 5 years ago. At the time they said it would be 6 months, but it ended up taking two years to get them. I get it, things happen, so the delay didn't bother me too much but when I would call to get a status update they would always say "they'll ship next month". Very nice products but terrible customer service.

gasman826

My sewing machine is for sale.

JRD007

To add to the question of our service industry. I would say there is very little out there. I worked/owned a very successful Auto parts business. And our whole business model was fair price and excellent service, we all have access to the same parts but it's the service that makes them return. We would never process cards on orders or add 2-4% for fees. And this automatic tipping in the food industry is crazy 18,20,25% not to mention the rising costs.  Sorry for the rant but...  Back to the topic I used Jerrys Classic Fords for my interior pieces not sure where he gets them but sure are nice. Price wasn't outrageous either.
49 shoebox coupe, 390fe 4speed
57 fairlane sunliner, 312 aod
64 fairlane sports coupe, 5.0l f/inj 5 speed
66 f100, 347 stroker aod
67 ranchero, 428cj tri power c6
57 Custom 427 fe, dual 4bbl, 4 speed.

KYBlueOval

"And this automatic tipping in the food industry is crazy 18,20,25% not to mention the rising costs." Perhaps you have never heard of this "Add On".
I visited a local restaurant and when the check was presented, I looked it over, as I always do, and noticed a charge of 2% for a charitable  gift. I inquired as to what, why etc. and was informed by the server that it is added to all checks and the restaurant owner makes a donation to a charity/cause of his choosing.
I asked if I had a say in the amount, or where it was being donated, and was told NO.
I've been there twice........First and Last time.
Remember......You get what you INSPECT, not what you EXPECT.
John

59meteor

To continue with the recent increase in tipping demands, that 2% charity charge is out of hand, so the restaurant owner is demanding that their customers give him money, so that they can make a charitable donation (likely with a tax deduction for the owner, IF he actually makes the donation, rather that=n just put the money in his pocket. Unbelievable. And recently, it seems like even take out/delivery orders automatically pop up on the payment machine when it is time to pay. If I place the order, drive to the restaurant, in my personal vehicle, and walk to the counter to pick up my food, what exactly am I being expected to be tipping 20-25% or more for?!?This entire tipping culture is getting out of hand. Now, back to our regularly schedule program.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

John...being a J/H I would have reduced the amount I paid by 2%, and then never gone back. I may have to start carrying a checkbook everywhere I go again, jjust so I can write that check instead of using the debit card.

As for SMS...all the comments here aboujt slow times for things to be delivered...I think I am pretty much convinced to not go through them. I do not have 6-1-2-18-24 months to sit around and wait for the purchases to arrive. At 71, I have put things off long enough.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Guys... thx everybody for sharing their experience. especially Hugh, and Terry for even calling them. it seems a 3 week shipping delay with cloth by the yard sounds pretty reasonable, compared to the long waiting time for full sets. I really just need the specific silver thread cloth. It is really unique with 57 Fords. My 57CS still has most all of the og white vinyl intact, which can be reused. and I can find off white vinyl for the Del Rio over here.

On another note. I absolutely hear what all of you guys say, what's happening today, same over here. Cost increase, insane food price, immoral and stupid (fee) pricing, wherever you look. home improvement store is down to 5 ft boards, @ same price as 8ft board before it all started. I recently inquired shipping a set of (4) wheel adapters from the US. which was around $40 postage 5 years ago. now $88. THE SHIPPING ALONE!!!!! set of 4 adapters is like $60, so add 88 is 148 + 25% tax /custom..... welllllllll.....insane....

cokefirst

I needed a 4" x 12" piece of vinyl to cover the arm rest of my truck (the factory only put on arm rest on the truck and then only on the custom cab option)  I had to buy a 54" wide by 6' long piece of fabric for close to $100 with shipping.  I called a week ago and got the answering machine.  left a message, no call back, of course.  I called today and was told they were busy and it would ship out this week.  6 weeks just go get the fabric.  Will I buy from them again, unfortunately, yes. you can't get this stuff any place else!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Marc

Is there anyplace besides SMS that offers original, or at least original-looking fabrics? Apparently they don't have stock of the green "flying dart" seat fabric, which is what I've been hoping to use. 

djfordmanjack

That's what I am hearing. Takes probably a long time even to process a very basic order. Obviously it's great that they are a family business and that they even offer that obsolete stuff. It seems we have no other choice than accept their terms (and time) of sale.

gasman826

We've been so spoiled for years and years of being able to drive a modest distance, pay a agreed price and wait a little extra time to get outstanding custom work from a master who usually becomes a lifelong friend.  I was so fortunate to meet and become friends with Ragman Ray, the upholstery shop owner with credit for several Ridler Award winners and many AMT models.  Ray said he could make my headliner from scratch but it would be cheaper to find one of the big vendors with '57 patterns like Le Baron Bonney (LBB).  LBB was the east coast version of SMS.  I contacted LBB and they assured me that they would do exactly what I needed.  I went to a supplier in Toledo, selected a sample, ordered part of the materials delivered to me and the perforated material shipped to LBB.  LBB made the headliner and shipped the remaining headliner and remaining materials to Ray's shop surprisingly prompt and fair priced.  The Custom was in his shop for more than three years.  Sadly, he passed before completion.  Ray taught me sewing and a little upholstery.  With the help of Ray's apprentice, I finished the interior.  The interior is gorgeous!  But, I would rather visit with Ray than look at the completed interior.  Unfortunately like Ray, LBB is no longer with us.  Now the east coast customers are scrambling to become SMS customers.

KYBlueOval

" The interior is gorgeous".......I'll second that. It is gorgeous!
John