News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

disk brakes

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2024-03-16 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,    I'm sure its been talked about many times,  so,  now I'm thinking   of  going with dish brakes in front,  any help or past postings I can look up?

RICH MUISE

Gerald.......scroll on down to the "brake swap" section. I think you'll find plenty of reading there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

why do I start things I know little about,  I'm more into flatheads,  an since its not broke the heck with it, thanks  for all the info guys

lalessi1

I understand completely! I only remember that my 57 Fairlane in 1967 would only stop in a hurry from 70+ once maybe! That is a serious safety issue depending on your driving habits and location in today's world. I had disc brakes on the front of my car when I bought it 13 years ago and they were from a Torino and they didn't function properly at all! I decided to used a simple Wilwood conversion  with 4 piston fixed calipers and a non power brake master and now my car can stop! Now I have to really get on the pedal to stop but that's OK, the set up is simple and I would not drive the car without it now. My recommendation is do it, better to have it and not need it....
Lynn

59meteor

I also have Wilwood 4 piston front disc brakes on my 59, although I retained manual brakes. Works fine, and no issues with wheel alignments or suspension geometry, since the Wilwood kit retains the original drum brake spindles.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-03-16 20:55since the Wilwood kit retains the original drum brake spindles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like that piece of news. Makes them cheaper and easier to do the conversion. I'll tell them they owe you a sales commission!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

Yeah try to get a lot with originals spindles.  Then find OEM 14" wheels from a 80's Granada with the larder hub hole and you can run an original tire size and hubcaps. That what I got on my hardtop.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

geraldchainsaw

one last question,   going  with none power brakemaster,  isn'there some kinda power valve involved?,  thanks   jerry

lalessi1

You can add several types of brake boosters. The most simple is a vacuum booster which is what was originally used by Ford in '57 (you can retrofit a system), but there are more modern vacuum booster designs available now. You can also used a hydro-boost system but that requires a power steering pump. Lastly is an electrically boosted system which is pricey. All these option require additional complexity and expense.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2024-03-17 02:55one last question,   going  with none power brakemaster,  isn'there some kinda power valve involved?,  thanks   jerry
Probably what you are referring to is a proportioning valve. That simply lets you adjust the pressure to the rear wheels so they don't lock-up first. Gerald...your convertible doesn't have power brakes?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

yes, I know I don't have power brakes,  not being sarcastic,    everyone in my car club,    roam n chariots,  out in southgate mi,  south of Detroit,     says I should switch to disk brakes,  so many questions until I have a idea whats going on,    like,   how available are 1980 Garnada ford wheels ?,   there only 45yrsold,     

lalessi1

I found a 14" X 6.5" Ford wheel off of a later model LTD that fit on my brakes. I used it as a spare tire rim.
Lynn

abe_lugo

You can have disk brakes with non power if that is what you want.  You get the the master that is disc/drum.  Like Mid-late 60's Mustang with disc front no power. It should have the valves in it already for that combo.

I had that set up in my 64 and it was fine. 
If you get a wilwood master it won't residual valves so you usually add a prop valve and add the 2# front 10# rear.

On my 57 Hard top.
For power disc I read on here to get the large bore disc/ drum stock 80's Mustang Gt master.  I'm using that with my stock original power set up. And it lock up and everything but pedal feels low.  The only thing I haven't tried  is add and adjustable pushrod.

On one the end of it.  You will be told to add combination valve.  It brass valve
Sometimes this valve has the residuals built into it.  It also has a sensor so it supposed to either lock out front or rear if one brakes fail. 

All of this is up for discussion by all the hotrodder brake aficionados.  :deadhorse:

I have a wagon with All drums and stock master.  Daily drive in LA Traffic with  no issues.  Up hills.  And on road trips. 

You DONT absolutely need disc brakes to drive safer. You just need to drive safer.  If your brakes don't fail,  something else will fail,  it's all about maintenance and knowing your car.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

Lynn

geraldchainsaw

ok guys,  times up,  thanks for all of the suggestions,  advise,  time,  now all I have to do is make up my mind,  I'll print all of the posts so we  don't  go thru this again,   athanks      jerry