News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

disk brakes

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2024-03-16 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Considering the scarcity of new 14" tires,unless you want to spend big $$$ on Cokers, or something similar, as well as finding GOOD 14" wheels, I chose to go with 15" stock looking steel wheels. I bought new Series 62 steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques, that look stock, and accept my factory dog dish hub caps. Trying to find straight, non rusty original wheels can be a challenge, and the older drum brake wheels typically do not have the raised safety beads that should be used with radial tires. Plus the Wheel Vintique wheels are available is several different widths, in case you want to run wide tires. On my 59, I have 15x6" on the front, with 215/70R15 BFG radials, and 15x8 with 275/60R15 BFG`s on the rear. Between the wider wheel and tires, plus the radial construction, my 59 handles much better than it did before.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

geraldchainsaw

update,  I guess I'm not done,  after all of the help,  decided to have  someone do it for me,  I belong to a club called the Roam N Chariots in Southgate mi,  has a member that has a repair shop,  told him what I wanted & he would check on it for me,  ok,  he found a package  from Summit,  has  everything,  booster MC the works,  EXCEPT,  won't  take  standard 14" ford wheels,.   ok,  I've  got good  tires,  14",  & dona't want  to  change them,  so,  what 14" wheels out there will fit a 1957 fairlane ford ?, that arn't that hard to find,  getting close to  saying the heck with it,  Jerry

tired of  posting 57,  heres my other car

rmk57

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2024-03-22 10:47update,  I guess I'm not done,  after all of the help,  decided to have  someone do it for me,  I belong to a club called the Roam N Chariots in Southgate mi,  has a member that has a repair shop,  told him what I wanted & he would check on it for me,  ok,  he found a package  from Summit,  has  everything,  booster MC the works,  EXCEPT,  won't  take  standard 14" ford wheels,.   ok,  I've  got good  tires,  14",  & dona't want  to  change them,  so,  what 14" wheels out there will fit a 1957 fairlane ford ?, that arn't that hard to find,  getting close to  saying the heck with it,  Jerry

You might get lucky with a Granada 14" wheel. The kit must use a larger than stock caliper/rotor so the extra clearance is needed.

I did this disc brake swap years ago and used late 60's Torino spindles. All the brake hardware is available at any auto parts store. My Custom handles and steers the same as with the stock drums and has much less brake fade on steep grades.

Nice Mustang! I have one a year newer.

tired of  posting 57,  heres my other car
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Considering many Fords came from the factory with disc brakes and 14" wheels. depending on what brake setup you use, maybe any of those wheels should  fit. I have owned 5 69-70 Mustang Mach 1s, that all had disc brakes and 5 lug 14" wheels from the factory, as did Grandas, Fairlane/Torinos, some Mavericks, Ranger PU trucks, many full sized Fords etc. Guess you won`t know unless you try. You could always pull the wheels off your 69 Mach 1 and see how they fit. I have never tried any 14" wheels on my 59 with Wilwood disc brakes, so I have no idea if any factory 14" wheels would fit with them. But with some of the aftermarket front disc brake kits that I have seen, with some using fabricated caliper brackets and GM calipers, what may fit on one kit, may not fit on another.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Lynn

gasman826

I have a pair of '69 Mach I wheels if you want them.

lalessi1

The shape of the inner rim is what is important. The wheel should be very open....
Lynn

abe_lugo

The wheels you need need are from late 79- early 80's Granada maybe Fairmont with 14".  The hole center will be larger.

Btw. Even with someone doing the service for you.  Just make sure you recall how the breaking feels currently and the pedal highs and lows. 

Make sure you are happy how the pedal feels.

I think most people that do the conversion just "live with it" as long as it stops. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2024-03-22 10:47tired of  posting 57,  heres my other car

I have one of those too!

OH...Coker Tires also sells wheels...and I believe they do modifications...so maybe they can help you out.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

geraldchainsaw

ok,    I have enough info,    time to make up my mind,  thanks guys

geraldchainsaw

1 more time,   going to go another way,  keep the drums,  go with  the booaster an double MC,  will call up my rrepair shop & see what he can do,   

mustang6984

Others have doe this, and say it works fine. Enjoy the thing!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

Lynn