News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Pump

Started by hivolt5.0, 2009-08-06 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

hivolt5.0

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and have a few questions.

First off, I recently purchased a '57 Ranchero from a gentleman who's owned it since 1980.  It is unrestored and in pretty good shape with some rust in the usual places.  It has balanced 312 with a 3-speed/overdrive transmission.

Here are my questions:
1) Can the stock fuel pump be rebuilt?  It works good and pumps fuel like it is supposed to but when the motor is off the fuel in the line between the pump and carb drains back.  I have a clear fuel filter in line between the pump and carb and all of the gas drains out of it.  One gentleman told me the diaphram in the pump must be weak.  This is my first experience with fuel pumps that have vacuum lines coming out of the top of it.

2) Is the ignition key supposed to also work the door and glove box locks?  Mine ignition key does not.  I've sprayed lubricant in the door and glove box locks and the key will slide in them but I can't turn it.

I appreciate any help you can offer and am anxious to learn more about '57 Fords.

David

57 Ford Kustom

David: :006:

Welcome to the sand box pull up a stool and play in the sand with us.
To answer your question it ain't easy to rebuild the fuel pump if it is the original style dual diaphragm style. You Can still get on a NAPA .
  To answer the second question the ignition key will not work in the glove box or trunk but should work in the doors unless one or other has been replaced.
  Do not be afraid to ask questions

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hivolt5.0

Thanks for the info Tom. 

I'll check NAPA for the fuel pump; hopefully it isn't $100 like it is from some of the restoration places.

I'll have to ask the guy I bought the Ranchero from if he remembers ever changing the iginition switch.  It would be nice to be able to look the doors and then be able to get back in.   :003:

57 Ford Kustom

David :006:
  Advanced Auto and Auto Zone both have fuel pumps for $55, NAPA is $90.
   As far as locks go you can get matching sets for door and ign. The thing that I found when ordering a lock cyl. for the ign. in my sons 57 ford is that the lock cyl was plastic.Wasn't that a suprise. The other thing you can do is take a door lock out to a locksmith and have a key made.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ford Blue blood

Don't know where I saw it but someone is selling ignition and door lock as a set.  They were reasonable as I recall.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hivolt5.0

Thanks for all of the excellent info guys!  I really appreciate it.

Partsman

A lockshop can rekey door and ing to match cost is minimal.