News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

57redwhitered

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.  We had to put my wife's dog of 15 years down in January of this year.  We will miss that one for a long time.  Your car is looking fine!
1957 Skyliner

RICH MUISE

Update...got the last of the painting done a few days ago and today I got the trunk lid cut and buffed and installed loosely. Tomorrow I'll see if the holes I drilled thru the hinge get it back where it was. I spent 3 or 4 hours cleaning the old sealant off one of the back window side glass rubber seals. My next idea for getting a good fit on that rubber seal didn't work either, so back to square one. I got to thinking maybe I'm overthinking this too much, so my next try will be to try and install the glass with only the seal. When I painted the hood and trunk, I also touched up areas around the window where I wasn't careful enough pulling the masking off. Tomorrow I'm going to get those touched up areas cut and buffed so I can proceed with the glass. One other new problem with the back sidewindow seal.....it seems to have stretched, probably from working it so long with wd40 as a solvent and a wooden scraper.
I had to order some side trim butterfly-type clips. I needed just a few long ones, and of course all I had was too short, and the local supply house no longer carries them.
I am going to miss my target date of the 17th for a rod run in Oklahoma...not sure if I'll make my next target date of the 30th for the Fort Worth Goodguys show.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Rich:

If you can't locate some of the proper sized long fender clips, I can probably get some through Hillco Fasteners here in Calif.  When Rick and I were assembling the 57 following its initial painting at Santini's, I was able to find all the clips I needed.  We used threaded stud type clips and Nyloc nuts to keep them fastened and it worked out very well (none of them came loose in the accident, lol)  Just let me know.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

I've already ordered what I need....but thanks for the offer, Bob.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-09 21:00
Update...got the last of the painting done a few days ago and today I got the trunk lid cut and buffed and installed loosely. Tomorrow I'll see if the holes I drilled thru the hinge get it back where it was. I spent 3 or 4 hours cleaning the old sealant off one of the back window side glass rubber seals. My next idea for getting a good fit on that rubber seal didn't work either, so back to square one. I got to thinking maybe I'm overthinking this too much, so my next try will be to try and install the glass with only the seal. When I painted the hood and trunk, I also touched up areas around the window where I wasn't careful enough pulling the masking off. Tomorrow I'm going to get those touched up areas cut and buffed so I can proceed with the glass. One other new problem with the back sidewindow seal.....it seems to have stretched, probably from working it so long with wd40 as a solvent and a wooden scraper.
I had to order some side trim butterfly-type clips. I needed just a few long ones, and of course all I had was too short, and the local supply house no longer carries them.
I am going to miss my target date of the 17th for a rod run in Oklahoma...not sure if I'll make my next target date of the 30th for the Fort Worth Goodguys show.
Rich..........I hope you make it to Ft. Worth. I'll be in Ft Worth that weekend for a TCU . I'd really like to see your car.
John

RICH MUISE

I'll keep you posted...I'm really trying for it as it's one of the last of the season in this area. It would be good to see you again, and oddly enough at the same place, just a different venue.

The drilled holes in the trunk lid hinge worked perfectly to put it back in exactly the same spot.
I lucked out on the holes sizes, btw. I had drilled them 9/64 because I had a whole package of those, so I wouldn't have any problems finding 4 of them for lining up the the hood hinge. Well, I was looking for something had a tapered point to make it easier to get the holes lined up, and grabbed  an automatic center punch. It turned out to have that 9/64 shank size, so gave me a nice tool with a handle to line up the holes.

RICH MUISE

update...getting some of this stuff put back on. I repolished and installed the passenger side trim, installed the mirrors and the driver's door lock and handle. I got the driver's vent window installed and the glass channel and anti-rattler strip is being bonded in place.
One of the non accident things I'm fixing is replacing the driver's door glass from being scratched by the anti-rattler strip's clips. That new glass is also waiting for the adhesive to set up in the lift channel, and is the reason I'm replacing the relatively new anti-rattler strips on the doors with strips that are glued on instead of the clips.
As I posted in a seperate thread, I also finally figured out how to get the fixed back side glass installed so the seal looked, and hopefully, functions better than I got t\it the first time around. I still need to clean off the sealant from the second side seal and glass and get that one redone.

RICH MUISE

Had another issue with starting yesterday...this time turned out to be the starter. Had the car towed to the local starter shop and they totally replaced all the innards...everything but the casing.
Got the passenger door glass in and the door lock installed, and I've been working on repairing the damaged driver's side trim. Should have that finished up tonight or tomorrow.

RICH MUISE

Everything is back together except the hood, which I'm working on. All the glass and upholstery is back on, as is the side trim and door handles, etc.
The passenger side back window is back in temporarily as I have to order a new seal. I apparently used a different sealer on that side when I was fiddling with how to get it done, and it has hardened and really bonded to the rubber seal, so there's no cleaning it off for a reinstall correctly.

RICH MUISE

Put 1k miles on it since my last post...took it to the Goodguys show in Fort Worth and this past Saturday I took it 105m to Canadian for a very small car show. LOL, I got up too late to leave in time to actually enter the car in the show, but went anyways. A fella I was talking to on the street where my car was parked told me it was too bad I didn't enter, I probably would have come home with 1/2 the trophies.
I apparently have a leak in my A/C system...it stopped working last week, and I finally got around to checking and recharging the system. It works great again. I used a refrigerant with a stop leak additive, so we'll see if it actually works.
When I went to Canadian Saturday, I once again had fuel spillage from the gas cap. What was really strange though, was when I loosened the cap, I got a big pressurized swoosh. So, how does it get pressurized when it has a vent tube? Sounds like I need to get to the start of the tube and see if I can blow out anything that might be blocking it. We do not have Mud dobbers here that I'm aware of, but may be something else that tried to nest in there. Also, I can't figure out how gas is leaking thru the cap,  I'm pretty sure is the source, if it was sealing tight enough to build up pressure??

RICH MUISE

I keep rehashing the same vent tube/ gas cap issue, now I'm back to being pretty sure it's the vent tube. My latest hunch is what was happening is it was getting some fuel sloshing up into the line, and sat there in the low spot until the pressure got really high enough to blow the gas out. That would explain everything. I got under there this afternoon and rebent the tube so it went up instead of down as it was. Now there is no lower area in the tube than the top af the tank...at least for a few feet.

Jeff Norwell

Rich. assuming your vent tube is a stock configuration.. mine was blocked on the 57 and I used a long piece of welding wire to unblock.... I disconnected it from the tank and then blew air..cleared up the line.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Morning Jeff! Sorry about the Blue Jays...I was rooting for them.
My vent tube is not stock configuration. When I added my in-tank fuel pump, I also opted for the roll-over vent valve on the fuel pump mounting flange, so the oem vent tube was going to be changed/altered anyways. I did use the oem exit location above the license plate, but made up a new (shorter) vent line to get there. Hopefully what I did rerouting/raising it up last week was a solution for gas getting into the tube.

Jeff Norwell

Yes Rich.. there is no joy in Mudville this week.
Apologies.. i forgot entirely you are running a fuel injection set up.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

Rich, I know nothing about roll-over vents. A quick search online I found an article that says they must be mounted higher than the highest point in the tank, incuding the filler neck????

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/07/31/tech-101-the-hows-and-whys-of-installing-a-tanks-inc-rollover-vent-valve/
Lynn