News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

460 motor mounts

Started by rmk57, 2010-10-26 19:06

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

what motor mounts from a 429-460 fit a 57 Ford? I have a set from a 73 Lincoln and there sure not going work. I didn't want to wait 8-weeks for the Crites mounts.
Is something you have to fabricate?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

Try 70 Mercury?  Have that in my notes, not sure where it came from.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

1970 Mercury must use a stud type mount like original y-block. I'll look into it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

I'll tell you what my son and I are going to try. I'm in NY and my son is near Daytona Beach. I sent him a 69 Merc 429, C-6, Disc brakes that he's going to put in his 59 Edsel wagon. I got him 88 F250 460 mounts. They have a adapter plate that bolts to the 429/ 460 block and mounts that bolt to the adapter plate. The mounts have 2 studs like the single stud on the 57 mount. The frame mounts are long enough to drill for the extra stud. My son has the front end off both cars and the engine/ trans out of the Edsel. He's in the process of cleaning the frame and firewall on the Edsel before fitting the 429. On paper it looks like it will work but he's not quite there yet. Also to be looked at is the ribbed C-6 case to trans tunnel clearance. Parts of the Edsel floor need to be replaced due to rust and the 69 floors look solid so we're looking into cutting the floor and tunnel out of 69 and welding them into the 59 to address the tunnel problem, if it exsists. I asked him to document the whole job with pictures.

rmk57

The stock 57 motor mount has 2 studs. I may end up making some hybrid so I can  use the original mounting pads on the frame. I would think thats what Crites must have done.
Iv'e heard the C-6 fits without any massaging in the trans tunnel area unless you use a trans shield. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

OK I'm at work now. The mounts fit 88 to 96 F series with 460. The 2 stud mounts are F7TZ 6038 AA and retail for 54.11 ea. The adapter plates to bolt them to the block are OBSOLETE (junk yard) and were E8TZ 6046 A They were 15.85 ea when they were discontinued. I bought one from Green Sales and one from the junkyard with the mount for 20.00

rmk57

I may end up ordering a set from Crites. At $54.00 each plus $20.00 for the adapter plates I can order a set from Crites for $45.00 set.
A bit of a wait but guaranteed to fit. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

cj57ford

I used the Crites mounts for engine, trans, and crossmember. Also got headers from them. I modified the X-member to get more clearance for exhaust, but other than that everything fit pretty well. It gets the engine down low and as far back as it can go, even using the tall Ford Racing valve covers. 480 cu.in. C-6 in 57 /500 2 door hardtop.
   It's what I call a "RAT KILLER"
                          John G.

rmk57

Does the C-6 fit without "massaging" the trans tunnel? Also Iv'e heard that the fan gets awfully close to the rad to,like about 1/2" and thats without
a fan spacer. If possible I didn't want hack away my rad support. I'm going to be using valve cover spacers and the original "power by ford" covers to clear roller
rockers.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

Thats very interesting John, everything I've read about Crites has been that the engine sits too high and too far forward. I used to sell the setup I'm going to try to the fellows with 351M /400 pick ups to put a 460 in them. I've also heard complaints about long wait times and poor customer service from crites. If we can't work out a trans mount between the 69 and 59 crossmembers then I'll give crites a try.

shopratwoody

I used Crites mounts and crossmember. Engine sets low and back where
it belongs. Had to use fan spacer also.I chose the FPA shortie headers
this time around with the car being so low. It's all good :003:
My radiator is in a recored 57 in the proper position. It has a modern
type core and cools fine.
I hate blocksanding!

cj57ford

I don't think you could get the engine back any further and I am using an Edelbrock Performer intake with 3" airfilter, as far as the radiator, I had marginal cooling (don't get caught in stop and go traffic) so I got an after market aluminum radiator for a 57 ford(I can see what make if you need). I had to mount it a few inches foward in core support but did not have to hack on it, just made brackets to mount it on front side of core support, was very easy. The headers are like the 1970s 429 Hooker Super Comp, the front 2 tubes on each side go under the lower a-arm, the shorty headers might be worth looking at, I did this swap years ago and don't remember them being available.                                         Man, my car was put on back burner for a few years as I built a house and shop, but that is about done so looking foward to next summer!
                 John G.

Ford_Crazy

You can buy a custom aluminum radiator from Griffin that fixes the radiator clearance problem.  The radiator is reversed and fits inside of the stock radiator support just like a stock 1957 6 cylinder radiator.  I modified my radiator support to use an off-the-shelf Summit aluminum radiator.  A friend just bought the Griffin radiator and it works without cutting the support. The Summit radiator costs $180, the Griffin is over $600, but he didn't have to cut the car.  Check out my project link below to see my installation.  I don't have pictures of the Griffin radiator.

rmk57

Take a look at the Custom 300 on e-bay. No fan at all, he must have an electric fan in front. The engine is moved up quite far forward, but it looks like
it could be moved back 1.5 to 2.0 inches if he got rid of his electric wiper motor. It also has the motor mounts which use the long bolt on each side.
Nice car,I like it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

Can you post the link Please?