News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

trunk mount battery

Started by rmk57, 2011-04-30 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Has anybody out there done this? I got as far as fishing the cable from the trunk over the wheel house to rear of the rocker then it kind of dead ends.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

I ran mine along the frame rail underneath the car.  I used fuel line clamps every 6 inches or so to support it.  Much easier than trying to go through the passenger compartment.  I looked at doing that but didnt want to have to go through the inner rocker with tbe cable.  Just use good heavy grommets where the cable passes through the floor at the rear of the trunk.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

If you're really set on running it inside, there's a single wall sheet metal stiffner piece that fits inside the rocker just below the rear door post on the 2 drs. You can get to it from the large opening under the inner rear side panel Once you drill a hole and get past that you're clear sailing to go out the large hole at the firewall end of the rocker(facing frontwards, behind the lower end of the front fender). If you go that route, I'd strongy suggest a good large rubber grommet on the hole you drill so it doesn't eventually rub and short out the cable.Maybe even add a section of garden hose slipped over the cable where it passes thru the grommet for added protection. same with where it exits the rocker panel.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

I partially pulled the rear door panel off and there is a "bulkhead" in rear of the rocker as Rich said. Drilling it out means pulling out the back seat to access it. One thing
I was trying to avoid.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

I run mine down the frame rail also. Be sure to insulate it properly. Where it rubs anything
I'd put garder hose over it. Like James, good quality gromets.
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

Pulled the seat and rear door panel off and drilled a 1" hole, enough for the cable with 5/8" heater hose and a grommet. Drilled another hole just by the kick panel, so the cable
will run on the inside the car and exit through the firewall. I'm going save a little extra cable for the rear as I'm thinking of putting in a cutoff switch if I decide to race it at some point.
Have to come up with a place to mount the cutoff switch. I'm not drilling,welding on the bumper or the rear tail panel so I was thinking of using a bracket on one of the bumper bolts.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

I had backet on rear crossmember for the sw and a fram fuel filter and fuel pumps.
I think cable inside is Mickey Mouse :003:
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

My Boss 429 has the cable running under the door sill through the wheel house, pretty much the same I'm doing it. If it's good enough for FoMoCo/ Kar Kraft engineering
its good enough for me. :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429