News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

pressing out spring bushings

Started by rmk57, 2014-04-19 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Is there an easy way to get these things out without using a press. I tried 3/8 ready rod with a couple sockets and the impact gun but broke the ready rod.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

petew

I have a large shop press but didn't use it to remove my spring bushings. After 57 years of being bonded to the spring it would have taken dynamite to move those bushings. Instead what I did was take my cordless drill and drill all the rubber out between the spring eye and the metal sleeve in the center. The bit will auger out the rubber if you just keep plunging it into the rubber in a cross pattern. Once enough rubber is removed the center metal sleeve can be knocked out and then the remaining rubber will crumble out leaving the rubber that is bonded to the spring eye.
That rubber can easily be scraped out at that point.

Pete

RICH MUISE

I haven't done my springs yet, but that method sure worked well on the control arm bushings.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

I researched and found that method to work pretty good. I have an air hammer I could use to remove the sleeve with or a hacksaw may work also.

There was no way I'm going to use a torch in a 600 sq ft. garage, I'd be breathing in that floating rubber for a week!

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Frankenstein57

If the springs are off the car, a press would work the best. A local shop would press them out for a small fee, Mark

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: rmk57 on 2014-04-20 10:14
I researched and found that method to work pretty good. I have an air hammer I could use to remove the sleeve with or a hacksaw may work also.

There was no way I'm going to use a torch in a 600 sq ft. garage, I'd be breathing in that floating rubber for a week!

Randy

Drilled a hole in the rubber, big a drill bit as would fit, and used a torch to blow the rest out.  Going fast actually gets most of the rubber out without getting it hot enough to catch fire.  Had a few flames but not as bad as one might think.  Been summer time every time I've done it so the doors were open and the fans running to keep the stink down!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

John Palmer

The way I've seen it done "back in the day", was with a hack saw. 

Clamp the spring in a vise, take the blade out of the hack saw, slide it through the empty bolt hole and reassemble the saw, and cut a V-slice out of the bushing with two cuts.