News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3-speed Trans Seals & Clutch Disk Info Please

Started by rockhouse66, 2008-05-26 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rockhouse66

I am replacing the oil seals in my '57s original 3-speed (not OD).  Does anyone have generic numbers I can use at NAPA or similar parts store?  I think I figured that the input seal is 482208 and maybe a 5201 will get me the output seal plus a new bushing.  Does anyone know if this is correct, since I will probably have to order these anyway and I don't want to order the wrong thing.

Also, any numbers or tips on replacing the oil soaked 11" clutch disk, 10-spline, original Long style clutch?

Thanks for any help from the voices of experience.

bluerusty57

I have a 61 three speed in one of my cars . I call napa and asked for seals for a 73 Ford half ton three speed top loader and they worked . Alot of parts stores imformation does not go back far enough to help us sometimes.

rockhouse66

I made a mess out of the numbers in my initial post, so I fixed them.

Thanks for the tip on the '73 truck.  I may have to try that.

Hoosier Hurricane

Rockhouse:

You can measure the shaft size, bore size, and width of seal and take those dimensions to your local bearing supply house and they can come up with seals that fit.  If you can't find a rebuilt disc at your local parts store, you should be able to get yours relined by a clutch rebuilder.  Fort Wayne Clutch is a Hoosier shop that comes to mind.  I'm sure there are others around the country.

John

Lou

As for the clutch disk check out International Tractor specs.  There is a number stamped into the seal, with that any parts store should be able to get you the proper seal. I have a Timken and a Eaton interchange book if you can give me the Ford part number I might be able to give you the interchanges. Transmissions seals and bearing are used for years and years if all else fails measure the seal and call the company that makes them they usually have a complete interchange and a list of applications.

rockhouse66

I was able to get the seals at O'Reilly by giving them the numbers I had found on the web.  The 501 IS a kit with the output seal and bushing, but I couldn't find it so I just got the seal.

I drove an hour to the closest clutch rebuilder and had my disc rebuilt.  He did it in less than 2 hours, $55, like new.  He had a pilot tool for it as well, which was lucky.

I have most everything back in the car now, just install the crossmember tomorrow AM and fill with oil and road test.  I am amazed I got the parts to go back together so quickly.

I basically ended up doing what most of you were recommending...thanks for the advice!