News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

trim ring

Started by rockymountaincustom, 2008-11-24 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

rockymountaincustom

is any body making a repro. of the trim ring that bolts to the front edge of the front fender obove the headlight on a fairlane 500. Thought we could weld and fix the one we have, but that is not working out very good. would be interested in good used one also if any one has one. Thanks Jeff

Ford Blue blood

Jeff,  You can mount it to the fender by sand blasting the fender and the trim, apply bondo to the fender, place the trim in the proper location and wait a few.  Sand out all the extra that squishes out.  Make sure you seal the back side (inside the fender) really good to keep moisture out of the bondo.  I have used this to "glue" several things together and all have lasted with no problems.
Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

Jeff :006:
  What we did with my sons car was hold rim up to the fender drill a pilot holes thru the trim and fender. Tap the trim for a machine screw (installed from back side of fender) grind off excess screw.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

rockymountaincustom

Good Ideas. thanks alot, I would have never thought of that. I found one on e-bay if you can believe it. This computer is a wonderful thing some times

Lou

57 Kustom, what size did you tab the hole (10/32 ?) ? I have a set eyebrows I'm going to repair that way.

meteor

I eliminated that trim piece altogether for a cleaner look.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

57 Ford Kustom

Lou :006:

This was done about 15 years ago while I owned the car. 10/32 would be the size I would use if doing it today. Used 4 in each eyebrow, spacing them around near the oringal studs. What I liked about that way is that you can remove the eyebrow later if needed.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Hoosier Hurricane

There was a service bulletin from Ford in about '58 about this issue.  They said to drill 4 holes in the ring and fender, countersink the holes, and use oval head sheet metal screws.  That's the way mine are.

John