News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radiator Seam Leak

Started by JimNolan, 2007-06-10 05:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guy's,
    I've got a newer Cool Craft tripleflow radiator (less than a year old). At a car show yesterday, I found that the top cap seam of the radiator had come apart in one place. It looks like I might be able to apply heat to that seam and just resolder it. The seam leak is in a very easy place to get to. I was running a 14 lb. pressure cap. The car doesn't overheat. The radiator costs so much I'd hate to destroy it.
   Has anyone made this kind of repair with success.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Does the radiator have a warranty?  I'd check that first.  The repair is difficult, but can be done.  Coolant and maybe dirt or rust has entered the seam, and has to be out of there for solder to stick.  Liquid flux may do it.  But, you have nothing to lose if it doesn't seal, it's already leaking.  Your local radiator shop should be able to remove the top tank, clean everything, and re-solder it if you don't succeed.

John

bagboy

Best to take to pro.Eazy to apply too much heat.Try a 7lb cap when repaired

JimNolan

John and Bagboy,
      Got it fixed. I cleaned the seam with a scotchbrite wheel, applied solder flux, heated with a low flame propane torch until solder was melted and scraped seam with a pocket knife while I was using the torch. When it cooled I hadn't damaged any other part of the radiator and it ended up looking as good as it did before I started. By using a low flame for a longer period of time allowed me to control where the solder was acually being melted. Surprised myself.
     The Warranty with CoolCraft said that if I would box up the radiator, pay for shipping back and forth from California, they'd look at it and determine if it was a defect and fix it if it was. Wow. The radiator was 9 months old.
      With a warranty like that I'd be out the cost of shipping back and forth to California and probably be without my car for a month. Great Warranty.
     I put the 14 lb pressure cap back on it, ran the engine for an hour to make sure it didn't leak and then installed a 7 lb pressure cap.
Thanks guys,
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.