News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Thunderbird Special features

Started by 1957clint, 2023-04-09 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

1957clint

I have a 1957 Ford with a 312 Thunderbird Engine. I have heard that they have unique things that sets them apart from other 312's. Does anyone knows if this is right and can tell me what these parts are?

Hoosier Hurricane

The most obvious clues to the T-Bird engine are the 1 inch spacer between the water pump and the timing cover, the generator mounted higher than on the passenger car, and the rear sump oil pan, which would have been changed to front sump to fit your car and a mechanical tach distributor.  There are other differences, but the major engine parts are the same whether they were installed in cars or Birds.  312s were available  in passenger cars and Birds.   John

abe_lugo

I just noticed my 500 has a flip down ash tray, and my wagon and a parts car I cut up had a sliding forward one.  Both fit in the same dash ash tray hole. 

Also my 500 has power windows. Actually was full power.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

lalessi1

I realized that too a while back. My Custom ashtray was not at all what I remembered from the Fairlane I had 50 years ago. I watch eBay for a while and found a NOS 500 ashtray and swapped it out. I believe I gave the old one to a forum member a few years ago. They look completely different even installed.
Lynn

59meteor

I have seen 57 Fords with both styles of ashtrays, I imagine it was either a time related running change, or perhaps dependent on which plant was building the car. As for the "Thunderbird" 312, other than the water pump spacer, generator brackets, harmonic balancer, oil pan and pickup tube, and crankcase ventilation system, they are the same engine. It seemed that Ford like throwing the Thunderbird name around a lot back then, thus the "Thunderbird Special" decals on the valve covers.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Makes no sense, I suspect the vast differences is in part caused by the multiple assembly plants.  My CA Ranchero had a flip down in it, the Retractable had a slider in it?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II