News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine run stand wiring question

Started by Marc, 2023-07-21 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I'm putting the finishing touches on a run stand for my y-blocks, using mostly parts I've got lying around the garage.
Trying to get the wiring done. I'm by no means an expert in that area so I've been going by my old 57 wiring diagrams.
The stand uses a keyed ignition switch instead of a push button starter, which I guess complicates things a little. The alternator (3-wire) is just there for the ride so the belt will fit, and is not hooked up.
Here's a sketch of how I have it wired right now.

Questions:
Am I at least in the ballpark? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Should the alternator be wired as well or would it be ok without it?

stand.jpg

djfordmanjack

Marc, that looks real good. Will easily run on the battery without alternator for hours if fully charged ahead.
You may want to add oil pressure and temp gauges wiring ( unless you use analog gauges directly fed by oil pressure or capillary tube). If you are running in a new camshaft and lifters you may want to add an electronic tach to keep certain steady rpms. good luck !

Ford Blue blood

Got it right!  Agree with D, would put oil and temp in as well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Please post a picture of your stand. I built my own also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Marc

Thanks guys! There are analog oil pressure and water temp gauges installed. Just didn't include them here since they're not part of the starting circuit. Once I find my old tach that will go on as well.

I'll take some pics later today and post them here.

Marc

Here are a few pics of the stand. I never learned to weld so wood is the material of choice.
Found my old tach so it's hanging in place for now until I get out there this weekend to plug 'er in.

20230721_095221.jpg
20230721_095237.jpg
20230721_095153.jpg   

hiball3985

Very creative :001: I see you used a truck bell housing. I finally got a gas tank on mine.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Marc

Thanks, it was pretty much a make it up as you go along project. I wasn't planning to hang a tank on it, just going to sit a 5-gallon can next to it with a hose. I can see where that might be a good idea though.

Do you have any pics of yours? I'd like to see that. 

hiball3985

Mine is just made from scrap mostly, I only had to buy two wheels. This is before the tank and I had to add some bracing for the radiator. I need to get a new photo. I looked for a small tank for quite a while and by luck I finally got one from a friend, it's a 3 gallon fuel cell from his old race car.
Y block 002.jpg
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Marc your wooden stand looks very sturdy and well built !
What do you guys think of my state-of-the-art Swedish engine stand ?  :003:  :005:
I need to add a radiator so I can also run it longer.

hiball3985

Looks good to me :001: It reminds me of the days when I used cut down grocery carts to store engines on :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Marc

They both look great! Like they say there's more than one way to skin a cat.